bike build from scratch

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Donbia, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Donbia

Donbia New Member

I was going to get a kit but due to money, I will have to build my own, I am using a mountain bike and a snow blower motor, 3.5 house, it red lines at 9000 rpm. american made, that I all ready have, parts are easy to get.
    I am using a centrifugal clutch, which is connected to a sprocket on the left side of the bike, it will have all the 15 speeds the bike has, but not at the same time.
    high,low and lower range. I don't want to peddle the bike, because of my knee's.
    so I will put on a foot peg on it.
    The motor has a pull stater on it, but I will put a electric starter on it hook it to a small sprocket in back of the clutch on the motor shaft, which will be connected to the starter motor by a chain,. the starter freewheels with the chain till needed.
    Also in the same fashion I am connecting a small generator to the bike for the starter and a full lighting system. in the end over time it will cost the same but will be better suited to my use.
    dance1

2. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Sounds interesting Donbia, hope to see some pics as you go together with this project.

Is the engine you plan to use a 2 stroke?

Reason I'm asking is the redline RPM's you listed seem way high for a 4 stroke.

if the engine is a 2 smoker, what is it's CC's?

Just curious to what type of engine this actually is you plan to use, gonna take a good bit of torque to pull all those gadgets and gismos + the gear reduction it seems you will need also, best wishes and like I said post us up some pics if you can as this goes along.

Peace, Map

3. rustycase

rustycase Gutter Rider

Sounds like quite a project!
    ...the HT kits are so neato because they are CHEEP!
    and really simple to plug into nearly any thrift store/yard sale bike.

I don't like to pedal myself, and really don't need to, except for a few feet, here and there for starting and maybe on an incline that gets a tad too steep.

Good luck
    rc

4. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a word of warning. Check your Iowa laws. Most states will categorize your bike as a motorcycle if you remove the pedals. That will open a can of worms with the DMV or law enforcement.

Good luck.
    Tom

5. Donbia

Donbia New Member

Hay I hope the dot will consider it a moped or motorcycle then they will have title it. which is what I have been trying to have them do in the first place, then no speed or cc requirement.
    with front shocks and a rear disk brake I should be OK. I will meet all the lighting safety requirements as well.