bicycle help

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by HiddenRose, Jul 1, 2010.

1. HiddenRose

HiddenRose New Member

I know how to install the grubee skyhawk motors this isn't my first time. But I'm all ways having troubles because of the kind of bike im getting. There is never enough pedal clearance to get past the motor or muffler so I can never get The motor started and always give up on the motor this is the second motor I've gotten and I have been through 6 bikes just to get the Dang motor started. What kind of bike do I need to get I'm going bike shopping this weekend.

P.S. I need a bicycle that the motor is easy to mount on and that requires no drilling or special mount brakets.

#1 HiddenRose, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. mapbike

mapbike New Member

Are you using engines with the pull starter?

Much of the time the muffler tube has to be bent a little in order for it to clear the pedals.

What type of bikes have you been using?

I have a motor on an old mountain bike and another motor on a newer Huffy beach cruiser, I had no major mounting issues with either.

3. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

a lot of bikes with a steel, one piece crank have to be bent. (the cranks, not the bike.)

it's a simple process, requiring nothing but a pipe and a solid place to wedge the cranks.

most times you just need 1/4" or so on the non-drive side.

what i do is take the crank off the bike, take the sprocket off, then lay the crank on a piece of cardboard and trace it with a marker.

then, wedge the crank in something (like a vice or between two brick walls, or anywhere that will hold it) with the non-drive side facing out.

next, stick the pipe over the non-drive side and bend it.

lay it back over your tracing to see how much/if it moved, and repeat until you got it.

4. HiddenRose

HiddenRose New Member

I've seen those huffy beachcruisers around otown and have been looking for those in kmart walmart target etc but have not seen them there they only have mountain bikes or women style bikes that would not be suitable for the motor. What store can I find the huffy beach cruiser in?

P.S. I do not want to make any modifications to a bike and then end up not bein able to return it because of those modifications if the motor does not fit.

#4 HiddenRose, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. nidyanazo

nidyanazo New Member

Use a brazing torch ($25) to heat up the metal you want to bend. It will be much easier that way..

6. Nashville Kat

Nashville Kat Active Member

I've never heard of this problem except with 4 strokes and with three piece road or mountain cranks- there are wide spindles at Pirates or Sick I think- I have one

7. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

8. kicking

kicking New Member

I saw an under the car tire vise to hold the muffler , while an good strong long pipe was put down in the tail pipe ... and bend it like an pretzel if you like... wish i had thought of it ...cant find it in search yet.... but yall might be able to find the post

9. HiddenRose

HiddenRose New Member

I went mudding and bicycle shopping today found the right bike! got the motor, gas tank, muffler, and carb mounted. The pedals finally cleared the muffler by about .0025 of an inch so its all good. I just got to worry about the chain not clearing the bicycle frame when I put that on the sprocket. But so far it looks like a successful build! =)

P.S. Hearing fireworks go off happy 4th

#9 HiddenRose, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  10. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator

Thats great news HiddenRose (^) What bike did you finally decide to go with?

Happy 4th
    .flg.

11. HiddenRose

HiddenRose New Member

Schwinn Beach Cruiser single speed pedal brake. chose that one before but didnt have enough clearance so i think they added a wider crank arm on the shipment i bought it from in target or something.

Looks like i'm going have to finish the build tomorrow i just snapped two bolts for the sprocket some i'm going to have to go to ace hardware and buy some bolts for it tomorrow ><

#11 HiddenRose, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  12. HiddenRose

HiddenRose New Member

No, I'm trying to install the wide crank pedals that come with ggg2 grubee skyhawk kits if anyone has instructions on how to do it. these kits are a bit bulkier than the older ones. Sorry had one to many beers last night lol.