Best suspension seat post anybody?

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I did a quick search and think this might be a new thread. So..

I was looking at Tamer brand XC seat posts and wondered if any of you would like to chime in for future google searchers. I am thinking about a seat post that will not kill me at every pot hole and wonder if I can learn from your experience here in the forums. TIA.

:-||

seatposts

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I've tried Thudbuster for MB. It's movement is different. It moves back a bit as it goes down to absorb the bumps. They sent me with the adjustment screw stuck, so they sent me a replacement screw. The MB got stolen, so on my 2nd build I used the Sumo XC. Seems to be more durable and less maintenance. I've heard that since there are more moving parts on the Thudbuster, you might have to replace the bushings from time to time, and it would require you to put a cover, which is sometimes sold separately.

I'm using the Sumo XC since it's cheaper and less parts to replace, and if ever the parts needs replacement, it's easier to reassemble.

Actually, since I don't think there is a frame with rear suspension that has rear disc brakes, and can fit the HT, or even if there is, I would not have access to it. So a suspension seat post is my best option for now.

Last edited:

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
ThudBuster seems to be everywhere as the Sumo you mentioned is harder to track down. There are two types of TB's ST and LT.. I am sorry for your loss. I am going to load things up on an old NEXT bike.. Nice hubs and brakes, etc.. Might get the TB and tie a plastic bag around the mechanism or seat to avoid any show and tell. Thank you for your time. Perhaps you can link to the Sumo site?

Good stuff. Thank you. I also stumbled on suspension pedals.. Ever use those?

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Dave, you have some great idea's saved the images and will make possible attempt soon. I imagine springs would be cheaper. I think I have the other stuff all over the yard, in storage or in buckets. Are those springs rated for a certain weight? I am no feather here at 215 or so.

zpt

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Dave, you have some great idea's saved the images and will make possible attempt soon. I imagine springs would be cheaper. I think I have the other stuff all over the yard, in storage or in buckets. Are those springs rated for a certain weight? I am no feather here at 215 or so.

zpt
Used a valve spring off some heads I had laying around. It worked great for me I loved it but after some time and wear the slot for the bolt opened up and the seat would then move a little. After a while it got worse and annoying.

Here is a video of it working.
http://s390.photobucket.com/albums/... post vid/?action=view&current=Picture041.mp4

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Thank you Dave, If you make the new one I would love for you to plop a link to that thread if you complete it! I don't have the best mechanical skills but have the occasional creative streak.

Thanks for the idea.. If I find some valve springs I will jump on this. I think my friend has a few in the garage.

Cheers

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I use a Kalloy Uno. It's not high-end by any means (it only cost $20), but it works well with my Velo webspring/double coil saddle at taking the worst out of bumps.

I weigh 230-235, had to stiffen up the seatpost spring adjustment a bit, but it's been doing the job well enough after 2 years.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i got a thudbuster for my cruiser. expensive and i wasn't to happy with it till today. i had the medium suspension in it which is good to 190 lbs and i weigh about 210. i figured it would give a smoother ride with the medium insert and was i ever wrong. last night i put the heavy suspension piece in it and what a difference. places were it was a little rough feel like i am riding on brand new pavement. really rough areas you can still feel but major difference. set up right i would say the thudbuster is worth every penny i spent on it and would have no problem buying another

MtDandy

Aug 14, 2012
Australia- Melbourne
Satori suspension seat post is sensational for me on my 26' MTB, its Available @ cyclingdeal in Australia, on line. Dont be shy to purchase a good Gel padded sprung seat also.... cheers.
P.s make sure you select the correct seatpost size to suit youre bike

Last edited: