Best cable control setup

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by _Spyder, May 20, 2015.

1. _Spyder

_Spyder New Member

I'm interested in upgrading my cable controls, specifically the clutch and brakes.

Does anyone know of a novel or intuitive way to setup the controls so the brakes and clutch aren't impossible to operate simultaneously? It just makes me a little nervous having to lock my clutch and then reach above it to the brake lever, especially since the clutch lock button is a little sticky from dumping the bike last winter. I've imagined using something like a throttle grip for the clutch but I haven't been able to find a locking model with a cursory search.

In any case, I'd really appreciate direction towards any good clutch control; I didn't like that odd little spring-loaded lock button even when it was new.

Thanks in advance for any advice~

2. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

They do sell a double pull brake lever that pull both brakes at once. Some like and some don't. Takes a little to adjust..............Curt

3. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i use dia compe tech 77 levers on my bikes. they were originally made in the 80's for freestyle bmx and have a locking button that never fails. the remake ones are just as good as the originals and they're about 15 bucks each.

won't solve your two lever problem, but they're waaay better than the crappy stock clutch lever.

4. knightscape

knightscape Member

Does your bike have a front derailleur on it? One of the vendors has a lever that is basically a front shifter/brake and the trigger shifters are used to actuate the clutch. you cant have a front shifter for that set up i think. I've never done it that way, just seen the part in the listings.

Edit: Found it:
    http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...roke-clutch/combo-brake-and-clutch-lever.html
    It's just a 3speed front deraileur brake/shifter lever.

#4 knightscape, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  5. Legwon

Legwon New Member

#5 Legwon, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. _Spyder

_Spyder New Member

Thank you all very much for the advice! It will go a long way. I will almost certainly buy a double pull brake lever - right now I pretty much use the rear brake exclusively, so I can't imagine it would give me less control in any way :p

Thanks a lot, knightscape and bairdco, for the clutch recommendations. I'm not sure which route I'll go yet, but the Compe Tech and a double pull brake sounds like a cool combination. I don't have a front dereailleur, and that ratcheting clutch/shifter is pretty awesome, but I'm worried that it wouldn't allow as much control over the clutch as a full-size lever.

Thanks again for the advice!

#6 _Spyder, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Spyder, I use duel brake levers and love `em.

8. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Everyone seems to miss the cable itself...
    I use a clutch cable from a RM250 MX bike. MUCH heavier construction and strength.
    I did have to drill my clutch arm to allow the thicker cable to fit
    Fits normal levers.

9. msrfan

msrfan Active Member

Good call maniac. I also use motorcycle cables for brakes and clutches. A lot less flex. Sometimes heavier duty levers and perches are required. Careful routing and numerous frame clamps give a more confident feel.

10. Nashville Kat

Nashville Kat Active Member

Raced road racing for 14 seasons a long time ago. I've had double pull brake levers on my two builds for 6 years, and wouldn't want to be without them. I had my doubts at first, but the levers have never failed.

What I'm wanting to get is a clutch cable roller I saw out a couple of years back and can't seem to find now- a little roller attached to the side of the case and the cable ran through a roller at the top. Anybody know where I can still get one?

11. Legwon

Legwon New Member

i believe This is what your looking for Nashville??