Best Aftermarket Chain Tensor

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by ryanatcardiff, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ryanatcardiff

ryanatcardiff New Member

What is the best aftermarket chain tensor out there? Thanks

2. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

If high price = best then it has to be the Ridley tensioner from Pirate Cycles.

[​IMG]

It's only $175.

3. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Skate board wheels work very well have great bearings and can be shaped!

4. ryanatcardiff

ryanatcardiff New Member

What about those bracket style ones that attach to both the top and bottom of the v-shaped end of the frame?

5. ryanatcardiff

ryanatcardiff New Member

Basically are there any other similar designs to the one at the top of the post that aren't as expensive?

6. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

That depends: how are you fixed for power tools? Your tensioner awaits you at Ace Hardware, some assembly required.

7. jared8783

jared8783 New Member

i looked at the one above from pirate cycles

WOW that sucker is PRICEY at $175

But it says it is for felt cruisers

It probably wont fit other bikes well if at all

firebellycycles has a decent one
    Firebelly Cycles

but i wouldnt mind attatching a sprocket from pirates tensioner on firebellys tensioner

8. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

Flat bar w/a slot mounted between both tubes ,,,a tube that fits the idler size bolt ,cut at a slight angle(like the angle of the mounted flat bar compaired to the chain),,,a handful of washers for spacing and the ends of the tubes,,,the angle cut tube would turn around to the chain line and washers would give in/out adjustment and the nut on the bolt would be straight beacause of the other end of the angle cut tube:confused:

9. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Yup, you got it! It's clear as mud.

The chain run is not in line with the seat and chain stays because the stays are attached to the seat post (narrow end) and wide at the rear so the wheel can fit in between them.
    They are at an angle to do this. The engine chain run is straight, in line between the rear sprocket and engine sprocket, not the same angle as the chain stays. When you attach the mounting plate to the chain stays it will be at the same angle as the chain stays, not the angle of the drive chain. When you directly attach the idler wheel to the plate it will be at the angle of the chain stays too, not straight and true with the drive chain.
    The tube cut at a slight angle fits in between the mounting plate and idler wheel and you can rotate the tube to get the idler wheel to rest in line and true to the drive chain. The handful of washers are provided to allow you to adjust the idler wheel in or out so the chain is centered in the idler wheel's groove.
    You stack them as needed on to to the assembled length of the idler wheel and angled tube to center the chain in the idler wheel groove when everything is tightened.
    I hope the mud is clearer now.

10. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

u missed the angle tube 's other piece on the outside of the plate that keeps the bolt from twisting in the threads when tightened and breaking

11. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

You know, I got straight "A"s in plane geometry, 4.0 GPA actually, and you all are still makin' my head hurt. I know what he's saying, but trying to picture it is another thing.

12. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

When you bolt the thingamabob to the whatchamahoosit, the round thingie will be at the wrong angle. The tube that is cut crooked will help the round thingie sit right and the chain will go better. The washers are there to center the chain inside the round thingie.
    Clear as concrete! :D

13. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

I have a small sliding t-squar(I think thats what you call it,,changes angles and tighten the wing nut) _____
    [__/__]

14. Creative Engineering

5 degrees is typical...when I do an install on a frame that has short slots in the drop-outs, I make a chain tensioner that has 5 degress of angle machined in so that the tensioner guide roller is straight with the chain run.

If your frame has long slots in the drop-outs, (coaster brake bike), you don't need to use the chain tensioner.

Jim

15. jared8783

jared8783 New Member

Yeah I think when someone reads this thread they will walk away more confused then before.
    I had to read it a few times so I could be less confused

What is this tube you speak of.
    got pics?

and which tensioner are you talkin about fbc's or pirate's

and if this tube is what i am thinking wouldn't you need two of them one for idler side and one for nut side? we could easily make somethin like this with a spacer and a hack saw if you are talking about what i think you are talking about

andways i would like to see pics of the slight angle tube thingy (holy crap I typed in thingy and spell checker didnt underline it LOL) so that i know we are on same page

#15 jared8783, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  16. jared8783

jared8783 New Member

something like this for sale somewhere?

if no maybe in future?

17. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I was referring to corgi1's post:
    (cut-n-paste)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    corgi1
    Re: Best Aftermarket Chain Tensor
    Flat bar w/a slot mounted between both tubes ,,,a tube that fits the idler size bolt ,cut at a slight angle(like the angle of the mounted flat bar compaired to the chain),,,a handful of washers for spacing and the ends of the tubes,,,the angle cut tube would turn around to the chain line and washers would give in/out adjustment and the nut on the bolt would be straight beacause of the other end of the angle cut tube
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    I can understand exactly what he is saying.

18. jared8783

jared8783 New Member

I think i get it now
    He is talking about a good idea not an actual product for sale
    as far as the angle tube goes that would be something like this just cut it with a hack saw to the proper angle?
    http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_149000491_1.jpg

and then after you cut it you would have 2 angle peices one for idler side and one for nut side.

something like that i guess

19. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

You are correct! (Quote from Ed McMahon)

20. jared8783

jared8783 New Member

ok now so does anyone know where i can get a small #41 or#415 sprocket with a bearing like the one on the pirate tensioner so i can make my own

thanks
    jared