Belt drive or Chain drive?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Kestrel Motors Inc., Nov 22, 2012.

?

Belt drive or Chain drive

1. Belt drive

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Chain drive

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Kestrel Motors Inc.

Kestrel Motors Inc. New Member

Which do you prefer Belts or chains? I myself prefer the older style of the belts. But why do you like either of them?

2. dracothered

dracothered New Member

How about both? Belt primary and chain secondary drive. That is what I am putting on my 58' Schwinn Wasp.

3. Kestrel Motors Inc.

Well, truth be told, that's what I did too, only reversed! Chain primary and belt secondary.

4. dracothered

dracothered New Member

Do you have a centrifugal clutch or a friction drive with the belt secondary?

5. msrfan

msrfan Active Member

I prefer belt primary and final drive for most of my bikes because of low noise and maintenance, no oil slinging and alignment isn't as critical.

[​IMG]

Chains offer more efficient power transfer and don't stress your bearings as much as a tight belt, so I may use chains on my next race bike. I have one bike with belt primary and chain final.

[​IMG]

I also have one with chain primary and final.

[​IMG]

After the last race at Grange, I'm seriously considering a friction drive racer.

6. JonnyR

JonnyR New Member

currently use chain but am thinking about making a dual T belt drive in the future for a 4 stroke bike

7. Kestrel Motors Inc.

I have a cent. clutch on the engine with a chain running to the jack-shaft, then a belt to the back wheel.

[​IMG]

8. ducatiluke

ducatiluke New Member

i like belt primary
    no oil sling near me
    also very quiet chains are very noisy above 3000 rpm
    i also use the belt as a slipper clutch
    very smooth rreliable set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1FBrfgP_W0

9. bigbutterbean

bigbutterbean New Member

I'll be running chain primary and secondary on my 98cc build, because that's what the agk gearbox and clutch comes set up for, and I'm fine with that. If you want to avoid oil sling, just wipe your chain down after you lube it. That's what I plan to do.

10. ocho ninja

ocho ninja New Member

Dumb question, but we're do you guys get your belts and pulleys?
    I know we're to get the sheaves, but I'm not sure how to get the right belt and pulley?
    I was thinking of using the agk jackshaft, chain primary and belt secondary for final drive.

11. racie35

racie35 Active Member

by the size of the shaft used.....you can find plenty on ebay....bunches for 3/4 5/8 and 1" slotted shafts

12. BikeBerryKelci

BikeBerryKelci New Member

Thats a pretty intense looking build right there! Looks Awesome, if you do change up your motors keep us posted on how they are running and what you like in the differences..xx.

13. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I prefer dual belt, but so far I have belt primary and chain secondary.

14. racie35

racie35 Active Member

I like belts too

15. WSNTME

WSNTME New Member

I just got done swapping from a chain/chain setup to a belt/belt setup and I am quite pleased I must say! The belt setup is much more quiet and clean (no lube). I was a bit of trial and error to get the correct size final drive belt but in the end its sweet. The chain was nice in that regard since the tensioner could make up for any slack.

Thanks to mr Helmutt for the help and nudge in the belt direction

16. Kestrel Motors Inc.

Yeah, I must say I have a sweet love for all pulleys and belts XD, I don't know why, I just like them much better than chains. Chains have good torque transmission, and belts tend to slip a little, but that's all part of the fun!

17. msrfan

msrfan Active Member

Exactly right, I've had excellent service from all my belt drives. Just have to occasionally use chains or combinations when the design calls for it.

18. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Active Member

True the belt uses more friction to work, but is quieter. Also it is less likely to come off the pulley than a chain if gone askew.

I found that out in the most extreme manner. I had not made one pulley in line enough with another. The tension of the belt along with the rotation also adding to the force made a jack shaft slip sideways as at the time I had used one side with out a bushing. You see I had just used on the left side a pulley with key and set screw hold it in place. The set screw did not loosen, but the force had the jack shaft slip through the pulley bore anyway. Then eventually the right side pillow bearing was all that was holding the shaft. The other left side pillow bearing had come out just past its holder, and the shaft scraping metal on a cover shield I made for safety.

Incredibly I just thought I had lost tension on the belt. The scores in the shaft are in an area that is normally outside to the left unused. I replace with new the bearings and added the bushing to buttress the side of the pulley as there is no room between the pulley and the right side pillow bearing.

Lining up the belt more to remove this sideways force altogether and still not have it scrape the tire or the frame is ultimately what is to prevent this. I learned the pulley does not serve as a bushing with the kind of holding power as these single piece split collar bushings. The split collar type do not have the set screw mar the jack shaft and I got them for about $2.50 each, definitely worth it.

MT

#18 MEASURE TWICE, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  19. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Active Member

2 belts and 1 chain. The short piece of chain between now bottom and top jack shafts allow no slip when using gears of small size (1.7" Pulley no good for uphill climbing the trails). I'd vote 1/3 chain 2/3 belt, but that's not an option.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=16

Measure Twice