Beginner fork and handlebar question

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by fett, Apr 27, 2011.

1. fett

fett New Member

Hi, I'm Tom. I just recently found this forum, and it's great. I've learned a lot already. I don't know too much about bikes, just that I like to ride them :p But I do have the ability to motorize one.

I have two bikes. A generic coaster that basically looks like this. Yeah, it's a step through, but I like the look and I have it, so it's fine.

[​IMG]

and this bike. the magna excitor

[​IMG]

Among many things related to building my first motor bike, I'm thinking that I could take the magna forks and handle bars and put them on the cruiser. I figure it would help with shock absorption (cause that's what it's for :p) and maybe the shape of the bars would be better for riding?

So, what would be the pros and cons of doing this? Sorry if this is a lame question. I'm really excited about this new project, but it is a new project.

Thanks

Tom

2. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Tom,
    Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help and advice here to get your first motorized bicycle project on the road.
    Unfortunately neither of the bikes you've shown are very good candidates for an in-frame engine mount. The step through would be the least objectionable but the full suspension one just won't work. There are options such as a rack mount, chain or friction drive. Do some research on these mounting methods.
    Good luck, have fun and ride safe.
    Tom

3. fett

fett New Member

Thanks for the reply. I may have been a bit confusing. I'm planning on using the step through. I've done a bit of research already, and i want to do a chain drive bike.

I was asking if I could put the bars and forks from the suspension bike onto the step through.

Thanks

Tom

4. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

It will depend on the steerer tube length, type, either threaded or threadless and diameter. Many newer bikes have gone to a threadless, 1 1/8" steerer tube. Older cruisers used a threaded 1" tube. There are also lengths to consider. If in doubt they aren't difficult to disassemble to check for compatibility. The handlebars/stem would stay with the suspension fork.
    You might get other replies from our experts so be patient.
    Tom

5. fett

fett New Member

Ok, I'll see if they match. Thanks for your help. Any idea on how switching them out would effect performance? I assume the suspension would be good, and the handle bars would mean i'd be leaning forward more. On a motor bike, I'm not sure what is desirable. I don't have my motor yet, so I'm in no hurry.

Thanks

Tom

6. fett

fett New Member

Well, i took down the cruiser with no problems. when i started on the other, i ran into a snag. It appears that the stem is welded to the fork. Everything looks straight forward, but i can't remove the parts. It is relatively cheap bike, but even so, shouldn't it be able to break down?

I must be missing something. Any ideas? I can take a picture if necessary.

Tom

7. 42blue15

42blue15 New Member

Both bikes have the same kind of stem, a quill stem. Both have a bolt sticking straight down, and the whole stem should come up and out of the fork's steerer tube after that bolt is loosened.

If you have loosened the quill bolt a few turns and still can't budge it, try tapping down on the quill bolt head a bit with a hammer. Sometimes the wedge will get stuck in the "up" position.

8. fett

fett New Member

Ok. I removed that bolt entirely, and still couldn't take it apart. Perhaps the stem is just stuck in there. I may have to try some rough persuasion. Thanks.

9. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

You don't need to be rough. The wedge that 42Blue mentioned is just that; A wedge. You'll see how it works after you get it apart. Loosen the bolt that goes down through it, back it out a few turns then give it a sharp wrap with a hammer. You can protect the head of the bolt with a block of wood or use a plastic headed hammer. It usually doesn't take much. You could also spray a little penetrating oil down the bolt hole. That might help a little. Whatever you do, don't beat it to death. Just a few taps should break the hold the wedge has inside the steerer tube. It is just a friction fit. Rust will make things more difficult.
    Tom

10. fett

fett New Member

It must be the rust, then. This thing is giving me a heck of time. I gave it a deliberate whack, and the bolt was forced down some. I'm assuming this means things are moving in the right direction, but it isn't budging much more than that. I oiled it, so i'm hoping that will help a bit. This bike is making a fool of me. Maybe i'll have some new insight in the morning
    Thanks for the help

#10 fett, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  11. fett

fett New Member

i did a search and found this

There may be one other way. I am not sure of how an Apollo is set up or made, if you can take the stem bolt completely out then try this. Turn the bike upside down with a way to support it from the handlebars from touching anything, spray it again with Liquid Wrench, find a wooden dial rod long enough to fit all the way down inside the fork tube to touch the bottom of the stem/wedge. Also make sure the dial rod is wide enough in diameter to just fit inside. From this point take a rubber mallet and hit it a few times. Turn it over again tap where the stem bolt would go. Repeat these processes a few times. My view is that if the wedge is not being held in place by the bolt and only by rust/corrosion then it will come free.

from here Frozen stem - Bicycle Repair Forums

and it worked. Unfortunately, i was so focused on removing the fork that I din't compare the head tubes of each bike. I found out the harder way that they aren't compatible. Darn.
    Thanks for the help.

Tom

#11 fett, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011