Are you running 12gauge spokes in front?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by rgvkid, Feb 26, 2012.

1. rgvkid

rgvkid New Member

Im building a custom frame with a degoverned 2.5 HF. Im running 24's and im going to run a 12 gauge chinese Heavy duty wheel in the rear with pirate sproket hub adapter. Im gonna run a disc brake up front but trying to save a few bucks. I can find 24" 14gauge freewheel hub wheels with cassettes at the swapmeet for $10. Or spend $50+ on a heavy duty wheel with a freewheel hub to mount the threaded disc adapter.
    Im not sure if I need a 12 gauge wheel up front or not. The bike is going to have suspension forks and fatty up front. Its not gonna be a curb jumper but more of a low pro cafe. Top speed maybe 30-35mph.

Are you guys running 12 gauge on both wheels?

2. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

I put over 100k miles on pedal bicycles with 14ga spokes. Granted, they weren't motorized, but those bicycles were jumped here and there.

My first 3 MaBs had 14ga spokes. I never had any problems with them. My current bike has 12ga F and R, definitely overkill :D

3. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i run 11g. just cause they're fat.

14g should be alright. just watch out out for potholes.

4. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Be sure the spokes are all tight, the wheel is running true/straight, this is the most important part of all spoke sizes but most important I would think on the smaller spoke dia. like the 14gauge.

I have 14g. wheels front and rear on one of my MB's that has 1500+ miles on it now, it gets rode on several miles of rough dirt roads 90% of the time, never an issue.

Bearings lubed well, bearings tensioned right, spokes tight, wheel running straight, you should be good to go.

Peace, map

5. rgvkid

rgvkid New Member

Thanks Guys. For sure Im going to run the 12 gauge on the rear. With the money saved on the front wheel being 14gauge I can get the fatty Tires front and back.

6. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Best wishes on that build rgvkid, hope it all works out great for ya.

Peace, map

7. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're a member of "The 20mph Club' don't worry about spoke diameter. If you're prone to pot hole bashing and curb jumping you might want to consider upgrading to a heavier guage spoke. I've accurued thousands of miles with the slimmer spokes a never had one loosen or bend; and that's on Colorado's infamous rough roads. But then, I'm also a slow, methodical rider who seeks out smooth trails.
    Safety is always a good consideration. Do what you're comfortable with and then you can enjoy riding without worries.
    Tom

8. wayne z

wayne z New Member

Another thing to consider, is that a 24" dia wheels are stronger that 26's.

9. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Both wheels being equal this is true.....

Very good point waynez..!

10. rgvkid

rgvkid New Member

I picked up a Taiwan 12spoke 24" HD yesterday with a coaster and wider rim for $4o. I thought the dude would give me a better deal but didn't budge. Im gonna remove the braking pads in the coaster and mount a Disc on the Jack Shaft. I'll be starting a build thread once I get the frame Jig setup.

Thanks guys.