Adding Gears to Phatmoto Rover II

GoldenMotor.com

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Are there any Phatmoto owners here?
I have been gathering parts for one of my pet projects; adding gears to the pedal system. I have found the single speed front and rear sprocket arrangement does not always meet my needs, as one of my interests in bike riding is gaining exercise and when I am chugging along at 35 KPH my legs won't move fast enough to input any pedal power, so I am left with just ghost pedaling along.
At this point I seem to have the right crank and chain rings solved by welding my cut down Phatmoto sprocket with crank arm to the front sprocket arrangement from a junked 21 speed mountain bike but the front derailleur is just not working because the down tube is of a fatter diameter than my junk bike and because of the wide pedal arrangement of the Phatmoto it wouldn't work without an extension arm. Got a 34.9 mm Front Derailleur adapter clamp on EBay which fits snugly over the down tube and serves as an extension arm for attaching Derailleur. By grind off the end of the attachment lug the joint well now transfer bending and the assembly stays firmly in place.
An 8 speed mountain bike chain proved to be just about the correct length to work with the 3 speed front sprocket arrangement and the chain tension er went in place without much trouble as did the shiftier, cable and tube.
The next step is to test and adjust the setup to see if it actually works.

Attachments

Last edited:

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
If your main problem is that the derailleur won't bolt onto the thicker frame?, just look for one off of a mountain bike with a thick frame.
The thicker frame was only part of the problem. The other problem was, the Derailleur could not reach the sprockets because of the wide pedals on the Phatmoto but by attaching an adapter to the existing clamp it now reaches.

I just did a 15 K test of the of my bike with the front derailleur engaged in high gear and I was able to achieve my goal of keeping up and contributing pedal power with the governed engine running at full speed. The video shows the sprocket is not running true but it was good enough to not cause a problem during the ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5-7HEAVEN

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
I just did a 15 K test of the of my bike with the front derailleur engaged in high gear and I was able to achieve my goal of keeping up and contributing pedal power with the governed engine running at full speed. The video shows the sprocket is not running true but it was good enough to not cause a problem during the ride.