A tip, something I discovered today.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Tim_B_172, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Tim_B_172

Tim_B_172 New Member

Who would have thought that the clutch cable could wear a hole in the paint? Well, here it is (see image). My advise would be to put something between the cable and the frame anywhere that a cable or wire touches the frame. I stuck some blue electrical tape over this wear spot, we'll see how it holds up.

Attached Files:

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Bummer! If it vibrates and rubs, it will wear.
    I remember buying cheap plastic snap on cable guides years ago. I wonder if they are still available?
    You might be able to find some automotive touch up paint to cover up that spot if you want to.

3. Tim_B_172

Tim_B_172 New Member

I've considered touching up the paint. My electrical tape thing was a quick fix, I'm thinking about getting a couple of cushion clamps. one that fits the frame and one that fits the cable to hold it out away from the frame. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, I'm an aircraft mechanic and that's how throttle cables, mixture cables etc. are set up to keep them away from the steel tube engine mounts on a lot of light airplanes.

4. city of angels

city of angels New Member

what i did on my other build i used some wire covers so you could hide the wire so far it work

5. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

nothing will work. over time, the paint will wear down, no matter what you use. i know this from my old bmx days. cables will wear through chrome if given enough time (probably wear through a couple cables first, but it'll happen.)

the best thing i've used is heat shrink tubing, but the only thing that'll really save the paint is to not let them touch at all.

6. taddthewadd

taddthewadd New Member

Some bikes use a clear sticker on the frame where the cable rubs.

7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

A clear sticker like the stick on rock chip protectors for auto and truck headlights and fog lights. Bicycle stores used to sell little clear strips to protect the chain stay from chain strikes. With some bikes costing 5 grand these days, I bet they still sell them.

8. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

Thats why i picked a black bike, i just get out the black marker and do some touch ups.

9. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

QUOTE=Tim_B_ I've considered touching up the paint. My electrical tape thing was a quick fix,

Unless you can find matching touch-up paint for your frame, Dupli Color automotive touch up comes in a wide variety of colors and its a good bet you could find a close or exact match.
    The idea of using the clear stick-on paint guard is a good one. I just saw it at an auto parts store a week ago. It was meant to protect from rock nicks on body panels near the wheels. It's not completely invisible but would look better than scuffed paint.
    Tom

#9 2door, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  10. CoastalCruiser

CoastalCruiser New Member

Clear packing tape maybe?

11. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

Something I discovered a looong time ago, if plastic and metal rub together the plastic will win every time.

12. Ted

Ted New Member

3M rock chip protector, great stuff, got mine at a business that installs tinted window film