6 v lighting systems

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Hello everyone,
I am at the conclusion that most bicycle lights that are easily affordable really stink .
with that said ....Those of you who are running home made lights are you running off your engine or an onboard battery?
I found some nice chrome bullet shaped lights at Wallmart.They are actually for the rollbar on a pickup but you get a pair for about 15.00,a little modification and you have a nice set of lamps.
If you want to try youll need some old flashlight lenses because the 12 v ones are a contained bulb.
a little red tape for the rear,and for now I am containing the bulbs with a piece of fuel line and a little tape untill I feel like messing with it again......Nice lights ...Cheap too!
I just want to know what peoples experience has been with running lights off of the Magneto,Id love to get rid of the drycell battery!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im using a 18v cordless tool battery - weighs 1 pound
and 2 12v car lights(1 dual clear clearance and 1 red dome trailer)$12
there hooked together in series to = 24volts
i have a inline fuse and a switch from a house fan $3
recharges in 1 hour,last many hours,mine still works like new a year later
cost $45 from walmart, extra batteries $18 but i dont need one

you could also use a 12v cordless battery
but the carlights are the way to go - they bolt to anything
and a quick charger is great

i havent tried the 6volt wire from mag yet but i might,i just have to get a 6volt light.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Do some math on your load the lights and the amp hour rating of your battery . The lithium ion batteries these day rock. A hand held amp meter will give the amp load you are running. Oh yeah Norms light set up rocks!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Why not use a cree R2 bulb (s)? They have an operating range of 3v-9v, a life expectancy of 100,000 hrs and put out 2-300 lumens of light.

Only problem is, they're at least $24 a pop, but they will cut the night into day.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Why not buy a light from me and be done with it. I now have them for $24.95 and $4.00 for shipping to the lower 48 states.
This is my new light the mount fits "1dia bars. comes unpainted so you can make it any color you want very little sanding to finish use can use model car paint or auto paint. Comes with a micro switch wired up and ready to go. Switch is mounted in the side. In this photo I do not have the switch installed I can either mount the switch or you can, same for the mount. I also have a 7/8" dia. mount its a little different.
this is for 1" dia bars

this is the light with the 7/8" dia. mount and is a different style.

taillight picture

Still on the works and will be for sale soon the Tombstone light.

I also sell a taillight for $10.00 if you buy the headlight. Or I can sell just the taillight for $12.00 and $3.00 for shipping. I will sell the headlight and taillight together for $34.50 and $4.00 for shipping.
PM me if you interested I take cash,money order if you want to pay by PayPal add $2.00
Norman
I have been using this light set up for 2 years and no problem with the ignition system I have this set up on 4 of my own bikes" Ilikeabikea" runs this light. Cruiser had this light and was amased by how bright is was but I think he sold that bike when he moved.

Last edited:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
im using a 18v cordless tool battery - weighs 1 pound
and 2 12v car lights(1 dual clear clearance and 1 red dome trailer)$12
there hooked together in series to = 24volts
i have a inline fuse and a switch from a house fan $3
recharges in 1 hour,last many hours,mine still works like new a year later
cost $45 from walmart, extra batteries $18 but i dont need one

you could also use a 12v cordless battery
but the carlights are the way to go - they bolt to anything
and a quick charger is great

i havent tried the 6volt wire from mag yet but i might,i just have to get a 6volt light.
I have considered using a cordless tool battery,I just may break down and buy one just for the light system,I was holding out to find one at a flea mkt or pawn shop I am currently surviving a layoff so I need to be as frugal as possible....18 bucks isnt bad though.
I am still curious about the Mag,I worry about possible ignition issues if I run things off of it,Im told you can but I havent had any feedback. Its more of a P.I.T.A. to find 6v lights anyhow.I like the car light idea,seems like more to choose from....Thanx

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Why not buy a light from me and be done with it. I now have them for $24.95 and $4.00 for shipping to the lower 48 states.
This is my new light the mount fits "1dia bars. comes unpainted so you can make it any color you want very little sanding to finish use can use model car paint or auto paint. Comes with a micro switch wired up and ready to go. Switch is mounted in the side. In this photo I do not have the switch installed I can either mount the switch or you can, same for the mount. I also have a 7/8" dia. mount its a little different.
this is for 1" dia bars

this is the light with the 7/8" dia. mount

I also sell a taillight for $10.00 if you buy the headlight. Or I can sell just the taillight for $12.00 and $3.00 for shipping. I will sell the headlight and taillight together for $34.50 and $4.00 for shipping.
PM me if you interested I take cash,money order if you want to pay by PayPal add $2.00
Norman
How far does this lights beam travel out in front of you when riding in an area where there aren't streetlights?

Can a person successfully get by with it out in the desert on a cloudy night?
This light will work for you. I have a bigger light in the works its more like a spot light. Fairracing does a review in the swap and shop his post is right under mine for the light.check it out.
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello everyone,
I am at the conclusion that most bicycle lights that are easily affordable really stink .
with that said ....Those of you who are running home made lights are you running off your engine or an onboard battery?
I found some nice chrome bullet shaped lights at Wallmart.They are actually for the rollbar on a pickup but you get a pair for about 15.00,a little modification and you have a nice set of lamps.
If you want to try you'll need some old flashlight lenses because the 12 v ones are a contained bulb.
a little red tape for the rear,and for now I am containing the bulbs with a piece of fuel line and a little tape untill I feel like messing with it again......Nice lights ...Cheap too!
I just want to know what peoples experience has been with running lights off of the Magneto,Id love to get rid of the drycell battery!
I used a tractor light or implement light that I bought from WalMart for under $12.00. It's very bright with a 40 watt bulb and I powered it with a 12volt 4.5 amp gel battery for an alarm system. It will last 2-3 hours before it needs to be charged from a trickle charger overnight. I made a battery box from aluminum
project boxes available from most electronic stores. I guarantee you that it will be sufficient for night riding. see pics.

Attachments

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Its more of a P.I.T.A. to find 6v lights anyhow.I like the car light idea,seems like more to choose from...
Well, on EBay you can find 3w 6v bulbs for cheap. If I remember the consenses for these motors, you want to stay within 3-4 watts.

For a 12v lighting system, there is a new option available which is the 12v generator (runs of your tire) and they rate as 12v 6w. Of course, because they haven't flooded the market yet, they run around $23 or so.

I would think that these generators could be utilized to run of the chain somehow, instead of the tires, and be fed through a regulator into your battery pack. This way, you would have light without the engine, for those "just in case" times.

Your battery packs are nothing more than standard NiMH or Lithium-Ion batteries, a lot of times, so it's easy to set one up yourself by just adding the the number of batteries you need for your required voltage.

Either way, there are a lot of possibilities to do this.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, on EBay you can find 3w 6v bulbs for cheap. If I remember the consenses for these motors, you want to stay within 3-4 watts.

For a 12v lighting system, there is a new option available which is the 12v generator (runs of your tire) and they rate as 12v 6w. Of course, because they haven't flooded the market yet, they run around $23 or so.

I would think that these generators could be utilized to run of the chain somehow, instead of the tires, and be fed through a regulator into your battery pack. This way, you would have light without the engine, for those "just in case" times.

Your battery packs are nothing more than standard NiMH or Lithium-Ion batteries, a lot of times, so it's easy to set one up yourself by just adding the the number of batteries you need for your required voltage.

Either way, there are a lot of possibilities to do this.
From previous experience with the friction type generators,they can easily
self destruct, especially at the higher speed of our MB's. I don't think that
they're capable of being reliable or long lasting at all.. But, it is a possibility
I guess. I would want to carry a spare generator with me though!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
From previous experience with the friction type generators,they can easily
self destruct, especially at the higher speed of our MB's.
That's a good point and one I missed. I've used them in the past but never at higher speeds like MB's.

OK, white wire to regulator, to 6v sla battery and throw on the handle bars a volt meter for a touch of class!