4 or 2 stroke?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by J0sh, Mar 31, 2015.

1. J0sh

J0sh New Member

I don't even know if theres a difference, but I was wondering if I should get a 2 or 4 stroke motor, I live on a extremely large hill, its pretty steep, and my whole town is hills, should I get a 4 stroke or would a 2 stroke be fine? I saw a 4 stroke kit for $224 on bikeberry.com

2. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

either one with a large rear sprocket so it can handle the hills will probably work for you, I like the 2 stroke kits myself but if you dont know the difference between the two you should honestly do some more research before making your decision.

A 2 stroke needs oil mixed with the fuel and a 4 stroke engine has a gas tank for fuel only and th3 oil goes in the crankcase of the engine.

4 stroke bike kit 3ngin3s are more reliable for the average person and 2 stroke moto4 kits provide more top speed and more overall power for those of us who like to tinker.

hope 5his helps a little.

3. J0sh

J0sh New Member

I know my share but I was just making sure:) i also want to go for long rides so i might get a 4 stroke, do you think $224 is a good price? I could send the link if you'd like. But the problem is i don't know if bikeberry ships to CA, lets hope!

4. Scooch

Scooch New Member

Hey J0sh,

$225 seems like a decent price for a basic 4 stroke kit. Can confirm that Bikeberry does ship to CA, just got a 2 stroke kit shipped here to Los Angeles a month or two ago. I had a lot of questions with my kit and they were awesome with helping on all the issues, would defniitely recommend buying from them.

Cheers!

5. J0sh

J0sh New Member

Thanks! Have you gotten an m1 license and license plate? And if not, do you need one??

6. Scooch

Scooch New Member

Hey J0sh,

I recently got my motorcycle permit, yet have not gone back to get my M1/M2 license. Unsure if I can use my motorized bicycle for the driving test as it doesn't really meet all the requirements that the DMV lists for a testing vehicle (not capable of highway riding, no insurance, etc.), but still looking into it.

I have however, gotten a license plate. Was very easy, just filled out the form and sent it to the DMV with a $20 check (looks like the new price is $21, but they don't seem to be requesting the missing $1). Came about a week after I sent out the paperwork, currently have it zip tied to the chaingaurd. Hoping to bolt it to the back of my seat after making some adjustments.

Cheers!

*Edit* Just saw that you also asked if you needed a license / license plate. According to CA DMV law, yes you do. However, I have seen and talked with people who don't bother with either. It's a slight hassle going through these processes, but it's much cheaper that getting a ticket and/or getting your bike impounded if an officer who knows the DMV law stops you. Better safe than sorry!

#6 Scooch, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  7. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

A direct drive 49cc 4-stroke is not going to get over hills unless you gear it so low that ~20 mph would be your top speed on flat ground.
    Like a 50T rear sprocket.

Middle of the road 'junk' transfer case, but the HS 142F is a top notch engine.

[​IMG]

It's an HS 142F-engine the long shaft no clutch version.
    That present problems for putting a transfer case on it.

The 5G un-adjustable dual chain transfer case is a mess.
    It works dandy (though noisy) for say a few hundred miles and the chains and sprockets wear in.

After that no way to adjust it and 2 thin chains are not friendly to replace.

It is another cheap engine shaft mount clutch bell & sprocket system like the stage III or7G, so not ideal.

An original 4G or new 10G KCK will suite you better.
    The clutch bell and sprocket are on a seprate bearing suppoted shaft and driven with a T-belt you can adjust.

I also think you are really better off with gearing.

You'll still bog up hills ~18 in first but you won't have to pedal, and on flat ground you can cruise at ~30+.

Not cheap, but if you want simple and reliable to get you around that's the ticket.

#7 KCvale, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  8. J0sh

J0sh New Member

Would a 2 stroke do better going up hills? Ive just heard that 4 strokes are more reliable than 2 strokes and I don't know so much about motors. I just need something that can get up hills thats under $250 (kit itself not the bike included)

9. J0sh

J0sh New Member

Also, the hill isnt risiculously steep, just really really long. heres pictures from google earth lol. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

Public transit or taxi passes come to mind.
    Seriously.

Just save up $500+ or so if you really want to build something that can actually do what you need and not be a constant on-road repair pain that won't get you around reliably with ease.

Hey just my advice, I help people choose the right machine for their needs and build it for a living and not bad at it.

I suggest a 4-stroke shifter for you, maybe even a 7-speed rear for middle gear rages depending on hill slope.

11. J0sh

J0sh New Member

How much would that cost? I can do $500 since ill be saving so much on gas

12. J0sh

J0sh New Member

Would it be possible for you to link me to one of these kits?? I was looking at some but just want to know which one you'd suggest:)

13. Motor awesomeness

Motor awesomeness New Member

4 strokes have more torque. Do you know the percent grade? I Recommend a 4 stroke as they are easier to maintain, cleaner emissions. Just dosent have the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke. For the gearing, I recommend a pretty low gear something like 15 or 16 to 1 ratio.

14. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

If you want something now I suggest go with a 4G.
    Bicycle Engines is the only place I know that still has real 4G kits.
    http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html
    $300.

If you want to jackshaft now the SickBikeParts 4-stroke shift kit is tops.
    http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=110
    $190

Note the kit picture is outdated, Jim has modified the base and the new kit base plays nice with the 142/4G combo.

Figure ~$570 with shipping.

If you are not in a hurry...
    I suggest you wait for the brand new system I designed and will be selling in a month or so.

10G KCK long shaft with an HS 142 49cc or HS 144 54cc 4-stroke specially designed for right side output shifting builds.

This is my prototype test of the idea over a year ago for basic function.

[​IMG]

Since then working with Don Grube the 4G was re-designed and the new 10G's are literally on a slow boat from China to the US.

If you want to wait you can follow along with development here.
    http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=694&whichpage=2

It will be ~$100 less system with less moving parts to maintain.

15. J0sh

J0sh New Member

I decide to wait to start till 16 so i'm just going to wait for yours B)

16. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

You know how to find me when you are ready ;-}