29" Genesis Onyx - Help, First Project

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by Onyx_Projekt, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Onyx_Projekt

Onyx_Projekt New Member

Hi,
    My name is James, and I have a new 29" Genesis "Onyx" and would like to order a gas-powered rig for it. I keep reading that the rims have to sacrificed due to spoke count, and other reasons, but was wondering if there was a way to hook up disc-brakes versus caliper brakes so that I can keep these unique high-profile rims (one of the reasons I picked this bike).
    I am TOTALLY open to suggestions for kits, motors, and anything else you guys know about dealing with this particular bike.
    Thanks Kindly!
    ~J~

laff

2. Dirt Road Cowboy

First off, welcome to the forum.

Next, look in the Motorized Mountain Bikes section. There are quite a few 29's that guys here have built. I'm sure they can answer your questions.

3. bandito

bandito New Member

I like that bike its 200$ cheaper than the local bike shop. I like it.

4. Onyx_Projekt

Onyx_Projekt New Member

Mine is a cruiser, not a mountain bike...

5. bandito

bandito New Member

Onyx wasssup?

6. bandito

bandito New Member

Do it! You!

7. Onyx_Projekt

Onyx_Projekt New Member

I was stating that my Bicycle is not a Mountain Bike... The 29" Genesis Onyx is one of their Cruiser Models... You told me to look in the Mountain Bike Forum.
    Do what? me?

laff

8. Dirt Road Cowboy

Sorry. I was thinking of the other 29" Wal-Mart bike.

9. motorhedfred

motorhedfred Member

Here's a link to a build thread based on your bike. This one is for a FD (friction drive) rack mount (engine in the back, atop the rear tire), but there's a lot of good info....

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29901

Go to the Google search at the top and type this in [genesis-onyx] and you get tons of results.

Good luck and make us proud, grasshopper.

MHF

#9 motorhedfred, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. Onyx_Projekt

Onyx_Projekt New Member

I want to go gas powered. Electric is a pain in the butt and just seems wussy. Plus I want the aesthetic of a gas-powered cruiser. I like the way it looks with the tank. I don't want to change my wheels, so I need to find out how to work that. This guys built something other than what I had in mind. Still scouring google, but most of these links don't have a straightforward parts list, which is what I'm looking for. I am receiving the money to do this from another source, and that means I'm on their timeframe for when the cash is available. I just need to know what parts to order and then do the learning thing before i start turning wrenches.