2-stroke + 2-stroke = 4-stroke!

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by scotto-, Jul 29, 2011.

1. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

A 2-stroke + a 2-stroke = a 4-stroke......doesn't it? Well kinda, but not really. It's kinda funny to me how being such a 2-stroke lover most of my life (and believe when I say this, or don't), when I was a kid from age 9, to about 30yrs. young, I really hated 4-strokes. I'm not joking here....not even a little.

Any clue as to what happend to my thinking over the past 20+ years of why i've gone strictly to building 4-strokes? Who really cares, right? Just a little something to ponder over to why people love their 2-strokes and other people love their 4-strokes......and those that love both. I don't really care about what you did to your motorized bike today nearly as much as what I'm doing to mine tomorrow.

Why do you like 2-strokes......and why do you like 4-strokes????

dnut

2. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Ifn it goes, me likie :D

Two strokes = unparalleled power to weight
    Four strokes = reliability & efficiency

Ofc, I'll play with anything frm airplanes to riding lawnmowers... I ain't picky lol

3. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Me, I think it's a "comfort zone" thing. I've worked a lot on two-smokers and could probably do it in my sleep by now. I'm sure I could manage on a four stroke, but I also like how the China Girls look in a bike frame - so I'll bet that's part of it too.

I'm not exactly a fanatic about two-strokes. I don't pretend they're any better than fours. I think you can put down some money and get a good engine of either kind. The cheaper you go, the more sacrifices you make. That's true whether you buy two-stroke, four-stroke, turbine, Wankel rotary, Stirling, pulse jet, 3-stage steam, whatever...

4. scotto-

Now that's what I like to hear.......honestly! And that is pretty much the truth of the matter, believe it or not. And yes BA.....I love the unlimited applications of both as well, you get an A+.wee.

dnut

5. scotto-

Good point Allen, though I'm not fond of steam engines.......I do like steampunks however!

dnut

6. Wm Holden

Wm Holden New Member

I like the look of the GT5 on the frame...the honda clone 4 strokers just don't inspire me and the centri clutch noise at low speed bothers me.
    But i might do a stretch with a honda 50cc auto soon.

7. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Active Member

I haven't ran a 4 cycle motor on a bike yet, but I want to really master these two smokers first.

I do like the inframe look, but given the financial opportunity, I would get a 4 cycle rackmount on the back too.

I like the idea of less maintenance, but 2 cycle has power at rpms, not just rpms.

8. Black Swamp Ghost

Black Swamp Ghost New Member

As kids we used to say....

2 Strokes Truck..
    4 Strokes Suck...

But I like my 4 stroke log splitter!

YMMV...

9. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

i love that!!! (^)

10. Wm Holden

Wm Holden New Member

hey venice...I'm the guy that called yesterday trying get a look at your stuff because i was driving through venice...sorry i didn't set an appointment first.

11. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

I really like the way a 2 stroke, China Girl looks but much prefer the sound and power of a 4 stroke. I prefer the ride on a 2 stroke as far as regular bike cranks but prefer the vibes of a 4 smoke.

So, final answer. Love em both. They each have their own qualities and compromises.

All as in-frame. For a rack mount, would go 2 smoker (but building a 4) and for a pusher, with out a doubt would go with a 4 stroke.

12. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i like the noise, the acceleration, and the look of a 2 stroke. the 4 stroke bike crowd seems to finally be catching up to the performance aspect of the 2 smoker, as seen at willow, but the standard low speed, air compressor-lookin', cheap plastic shrouded 4 stroke just looks stupid to me.

i really dig what the brigg's guys are doing, though. i've seen msrfan and his bro's bikes, as well as Jeff's, and they look great. but they ain't cheap, and it ain't easy.

my goal is to build the fastest modified china doll bike on the planet. after that, who knows? there's plenty of undiscovered 2 strokes (at least for the bicycle market) out there that'll run laps around the china's, and even put a hurtin' on the morini's. if my plans come together, i'll be showcasing one at the next race.

got the skills and the money, just need the time now that i'm back to work full time.

13. dmb

dmb Active Member

i hafta agree with bairdco the plastic shrouds are cheezy looking. multi cylinder 2 strokes screaming is music to my ear [only one works kinda] but the squid on the 1983 kx450 with the stinger only in the pits/campground is so annoying. a 4 stroke single at a slow idle is heaven. the slower the better. wheeling a 4 stroke is easy with the throttle and engine braking, but a 2 stroke ya gotta learn to use the rear brake. and i like the smell of castor

#13 dmb, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  14. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Barelyawake, you couldn't have said it any better and I stand firm in total agreement on this and feel the same way ......... nicely said....!

15. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

This to me depends on what you are riding, on a dirt bike I like the four stroke you dont have to keep it in the power band to climb hills. But on the other hand remembering the sound of 25 screaming 2 strokes racing to the first turn..... well I like them both just for diff. kind of bikes. My m/b is a 2 stroke I just like the old school look of it.

16. F_Rod81

F_Rod81 Dealer

I'll take a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke any day. Less expensive and with the right mods, the power ratio is unmatched.

I like smoking and my bike feels the same way :)

17. scotto-

http://motorbicycling.com/f37/assistance-needed-32315.html

I love it.......now you're looking for advice on a 4-stroke build, I'm a little confused by this? laff

dnut

#17 scotto-, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  18. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

There's always a reciprocal...I'll take a 4-stroke over the 2-stroke any day. Cheaper to run in the long term, smoother, more reliable. :p

Plus I think they sound better. Chinagirls always sound like some varying ratio between a chainsaw and an RC car. :D

19. scotto-

Stay thirsty my friend! ;)

20. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

They do, they do. But that's why I figure maybe, along with the sound of a chainsaw, I wear a hockey mask too - people might be inspired to give me a little elbow room. :)