1st timer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tinker, Mar 13, 2010.

1. tinker

tinker New Member

Hello everyone, This is my first post and my first build. almost done with the bike. was wondering if there is any trick to lineing up the front and rear sprocket on the motor side? And, I have never seen a bike like this in action so it is all new to me. any and all hints helpful. Thanks.

2. professor

professor New Member

Hi Tinker, welcome to Motorbicycling!
    I typically use a straight edge on the sides of sprockets or pulleys to align them.

3. stevolandis

stevolandis New Member

Welcome- I just put the chain on and made sure it's lined up on both sprockets. The chain idler can be pivoted back/forth to align the chain better on the rear sprocket. You can also move the engine around a bit and retighten it to get a little more straightness.

4. Nougat

Nougat New Member

The chain tensioner shouldn't be used to guide the chain left or right. You'll end up with a chain that jumps off and breaks spokes.

The rear sprocket teeth are on a kind of beveled edge, so flipping the rear sprocket will shift the chain left or right accordingly. Still, just a little bit.

If you mount the engine straight, it'll line up closely enough. Make sure you have enough play in the chain. A too tight chain won't be forgiving, a too loose chain will slap all over. Enough slack makes up for a little misalignment without falling off.

5. stevolandis

stevolandis New Member

Now that I think it over.... I move the idler to center the chain on the sprocket- so I'm kinda aligning the idler to the chain.Is that okay?? Just making sure.

6. Nougat

Nougat New Member

The roller tensioner bracket probably needs to be twisted a smidge to get the roller to be parallel to the chain. If you don't twist the bracket, the roller will be parallel to the frame tube it's bolted to, not the chain.

What I was saying before is that you don't want the roller to be making the lower part of the chain be in a different place than the upper part.