FLORIDA LEGAL as of 05/12/2014 via FLHSMV Procedure RS-68

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-68.pdf

In addition to the above info via the link, here is some additional info I just found out by calling number below:
Of course, this info. is for the benefit of our Gas MB - Moped Community.

A. Division of Motorist Services Regional Office - (For vehicle inspection)
3200 Armsdale Road Suite 13
Jacksonville, FL 32218
(904) 924-1524

B. Vehicle (Safety) Inspection Requirements Highlights:
(will follow motorcycle guidelines)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...entsIndex.html

(see above Chapters 316.40 - 316.46)

Bullet Points:
Headlight
Tailight
WORKING Stoplight
Reflectors 1 Red? 2 Amber?
Horn
Rear View Mirror
Front and Rear Brakes
Throttle - Twist or Thumb
License Plate Light

From the conversation with the person over at The Division of Motor Services:
a. They will not go into a detailed inspection ie how many feet the headlight or taillight can be seen from, etc
b. He did not clarify what is acceptable safety equipment. ie Is Walmart bicycle headlamp ok?
c. He did say that you will be signing an affidavit stating that your vehicle meets the safety standards of "Title 49 of Florida Statutes Chapter 316"?
(his wiggle out clause)

Please verify all the information PRIOR to you doing anything.

Yes we are legal, and now we have to abide by the law. (To comply, we have to jump through hoops)

I guess it'll be worth it in the end.

(PS I have a now expired moped registration circa 2011-2012)

I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Respectfully.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
I have drum brakes in the front and rear, so no (usable) calipers to speak of.
And I've used those before as lights they break very easily and they are very dim they are not able to be seen from more than maybe 50 feet away. They are tiny incandescent bulbs may be five Watts total power maybe 30 lumens barely visible at night.
Any other suggestions other than crappy $10 Chinese parts that don't work well and/or for very long.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I have drum brakes in the front and rear, so no (usable) calipers to speak of.
And I've used those before as lights they break very easily and they are very dim they are not able to be seen from more than maybe 50 feet away. They are tiny incandescent bulbs may be five Watts total power maybe 30 lumens barely visible at night.
Any other suggestions other than crappy $10 Chinese parts that don't work well and/or for very long.
Yes there are "wireless brake lights".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxon-WIRELESS-Bike-Brake-Light-for-all-bicycles-/271353754726

http://www.sungoinc.com/light/products.html

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Anyone who already registered their bike as a moped can you show me what your brake light looks like.
And yes the lucky part is that they will not test to see from how far away the light can be seen from.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Yeah, that guy George from that site, definitely does not want or like the fact that people can now put gas motors on bicycles, get them registered and have them legal for use on public roads.
That was why he tried to confuse the issue by saying there was no "new law" by him saying that he could not find it. Even though I had posted comments concerning the fact that it was not a "new law" but the fact was that a bicycle with a gas motor could be registered as a moped and by that fact have them legal.
He sooo tried to ignore that fact but once my comments were added to the sections concerning gas bikes he could not disagree with them.
I had to remind him that once they were registered with a gas motor they were no longer bicycles but were mopeds and needed registration as such, and a license was then needed to operate it for use on public roads.
On a side note, I am still looking to see if anyone found the specific federal guidelines for title 49 which is the supposed regulations stating the required safety equipment for mopeds. (I looked, but could not find them.)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Yeah, that guy George from that site, definitely does not want or like the fact that people can now put gas motors on bicycles, get them registered and have them legal for use on public roads.
That was why he tried to confuse the issue by saying there was no "new law" by him saying that he could not find it. Even though I had posted comments concerning the fact that it was not a "new law" but the fact was that a bicycle with a gas motor could be registered as a moped and by that fact have them legal.
He sooo tried to ignore that fact but once my comments were added to the sections concerning gas bikes he could not disagree with them.
I had to remind him that once they were registered with a gas motor they were no longer bicycles but were mopeds and needed registration as such, and a license was then needed to operate it for use on public roads.
On a side note, I am still looking to see if anyone found the specific federal guidelines for title 49 which is the supposed regulations stating the required safety equipment for mopeds. (I looked, but could not find them.)
I think this is it Title 49:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...GmLHRP5KD71TvyrK1NapCzg&bvm=bv.70138588,d.aWw

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Here is safety requirements copy/ paste:
(see pages 35-36 of title 49 pdf)

EXCERPT FROM FMVSS No. 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment
TABL E III REQUIRED MOTOR VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles
Item Motor Driven Cycle Motorcycles Applicable SAE standard
or
recommended practice
(See S5
for subreferenced SAE
materials)
Headlamps 1 white 1 white For motorcycles only,
J584,
April 1964, J585e, January
Tail lamps 1 red 1 red J585e, September 1977
Stop lamps 1 red 1 red J186a, September 1977,
or S5.1.1.2.2
(FMVSS 108)
License plate lamp 1 white 1 white J587, October 1981
Reflex reflectors 3 red
2 amber
3 red
2 amber
J594f, January 1977
Turn signal lamps Not required 2 amber; 2 red or amber J588, November1984
Turn signal operating unit Not Required 1 J589, April 1964
Turn signal flasher Not required 1 J590b, October 196

Last edited:

DBB

Jul 7, 2009
Florida
I looked up Title 49 here, then browsed to §571 Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. I will summarize, but please correct my errors.

§571.3 contains the following definitions:

Motorcycle means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

Motor-driven cycle means a motorcycle with a motor that produces 5-brake horsepower or less.
§571.108 S6.1.1 requires the lights and reflectors listed in Table I, which for motorcycles includes headlamp (low and high beam), front and rear turn signals (if max speed is over 30mph), taillamp, brake lamp, amber reflectors on each side near the front, red reflectors on each side near the back, red reflector on the back, and a license plate light.

§571.111 S10.1 requires a mirror.

§571.119 appears to require DOT tires. I really hope I'm wrong about that.

§571.123 S5.1 requires a kill switch. S5.2 says IF you have any of the equipment listed in Tables 1, 2, or 3, then it must be located, operated, illuminated, and labeled as specified in the tables. Those tables don't require you to have any such equipment.

I can't find any requirement for a horn.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I looked up Title 49 here, then browsed to §571 Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. I will summarize, but please correct my errors.

§571.3 contains the following definitions:

§571.108 S6.1.1 requires the lights and reflectors listed in Table I, which for motorcycles includes headlamp (low and high beam), front and rear turn signals (if max speed is over 30mph), taillamp, brake lamp, amber reflectors on each side near the front, red reflectors on each side near the back, red reflector on the back, and a license plate light.

§571.111 S10.1 requires a mirror.

§571.119 appears to require DOT tires. I really hope I'm wrong about that.

§571.123 S5.1 requires a kill switch. S5.2 says IF you have any of the equipment listed in Tables 1, 2, or 3, then it must be located, operated, illuminated, and labeled as specified in the tables. Those tables don't require you to have any such equipment.

I can't find any requirement for a horn.
The regional field inspectors are not as thorough as the letter of the law.
This is based on:
a. my personal conversation with them
b. A fellow Gas MBer who recently had his vehicle inspected.
If they become as thorough as the letter of the law, next to no gas motorized bicycle will be street legal IMHO.

:)

DBB

Jul 7, 2009
Florida
He did say that you will be signing an affidavit stating that your vehicle meets the safety standards of "Title 49 of Florida Statutes Chapter 316"?
(his wiggle out clause)
Anyone seen this affidavit? Please post it. Does this refer to the second checkbox in Section III of Form HSMV 84490, Statement of Builder?

Procedure RS-68 says an accurately completed Form HSMV 84490 is required to register a motorized bicycle (moped). If you have seen one completed for a homemade moped, please post it.

Do the boxes in Section III have to be checked?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Anyone seen this affidavit? Please post it. Does this refer to the second checkbox in Section III of Form HSMV 84490, Statement of Builder?

Procedure RS-68 says an accurately completed Form HSMV 84490 is required to register a motorized bicycle (moped). If you have seen one completed for a homemade moped, please post it.

Do the boxes in Section III have to be checked?
Trying to find out for you... from someone who recently registered. :)