Throttle/Carby Help

GoldenMotor.com

MLP

Sep 1, 2013
SA-TX
Hi Folks - This is is my first build and I'm excited to almost be done with it! Thanks to to this forum I've been able to solve most of my issues.
I have two problems that are probably related, maybe you can help!
I can get the engine started no problem and cruise my neighborhood at a low speed.

1. But I get no response from the engine when I turn the throttle.
2. If I pull the clutch in, the gear disengages well but the engine revs up full throttle immediately. Similarly, with the the clutch out the throttle is "stuck on" if I don't stay on the breaks to control my speed.

However, when I take the carb top off and expose the throttle mechanism (like pic), I get a totally normal action on it, it pulls up and the spring bounces back.
So I can't find anything to fix in the throttle mechanism.

I'm not entirely sure how to set the idle on the carb so I can't confirm if I have it set nice and low like I would like.

Thanks for the help y'all!

:-||

Attachments

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Okay. If I understand correctly, then, your throttle slide, spring and cable seem to be working properly when that top is off.

But the running symptoms you described would indicate a slide and needle that are not bottoming out the way they should.

My feeling is that when the throttle slide is installed there's something holding it in the up, wide-open-throttle, position.

So I'd make sure that you're installing that slider properly. It looks like a different model from mine. But I'll hope that what's true on mine is true on yours.

If you look down into that throttle throat you'll see a tiny little 'nub' in there. There will also be a 'slit' in the side of that throttle slider. That nub must slide into the slider slit. (Dig my terminology, man.)

If not, then you're stuck on wide open throttle.

MLP

Sep 1, 2013
SA-TX
thanks for the repls, yes your understanding is exactly right...

Hmm I will go look for the nub and the slit (i've got the carb taken all apart right now) if you could describe that a little more, or include a pic, I would REALLY appreciate! Thanks for your input.