Thanks for the Maveries

GoldenMotor.com

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I was a big fan of James Garner and he was a great down to earth actor . He would play any part with a calmness and comfortableness that added a great twist to any story line . I can remember a few of the Maverick episodes where he would get himself wrapped up in a heck of a mess with no way out , and the hangman would show up to do him in . But it would be his tricky brother posing as the one to put the noose around his neck . Up until then he was doomed . And then they both would have the last laugh as they drew down on the enemy , took the loot and rode off . Going to miss that under rated actor .

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I was a big fan of the movie "Grand Prix" that Garner starred in. They filmed much of the racing scenes at Monaco on the same day as the actual Grand Prix. They already had a huge crowd and the road course, banners and all other vital ingredients were already there and set up. (Brilliant).
The Rockford Files was a good series too. Made me want a Firebird bad.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's hard loosing the really good ones. Mr.Garner you'll be missed especially by a generation who remembers Bret. Rest in peace, kind sir.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know who the man on the far right is but that's James Coburn in the side car, James Garner on the rear seat and our buddy Steve McQueen driving. Must have been on the set of 'The Great Escape'.They were all so young. Cool photo Wheelbender. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have a DVD of the "Great Escape". I gave it to my older son, but still have it here. Its one of those movies I watched with my dad back in the day.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My wife said she read on Facebook that Garner was a great movie stunt driver as well. I wonder if he did the driving stunts on the Rockford Files, That TV show had great chase scenes.