Shi(+)mano

GoldenMotor.com

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Some are average for cheep Walmart bikes while others are above average for expensive high end bikes.

Reactions: fasteddy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
This is my pile of Shimano failures over the last two years. If the component is between $15-30 it simply has a short life. I never shift under engine power. So technically the rear derailleur tension control would've been the only one of these components dealing with engine torque. Even the more expensive Shimano Altus front derailleur didn't last more than six months.

20230214_181144.jpg

Reactions: wrench and fasteddy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The Shimano Turney rear derailleur blew apart, a crack formed in the Turney front derailleur and it jamed, a small piece of brace metal bent on the Altus tension spring causing it to jam, and the M51 3 speed shifter lost the ability to shift into the large chainring.

The replacements have been a Sram X4 rear derailleur, Sram X3 rear shifter, Sunrace 405 bake/3 speed shifter, and now a Soonhua front derailleur.

All these replacements were over double the price of the Shimano components except the Altus was double the price of the Soonhua. The Soonhua is a much stouter design and shifts very smoothly.

The one Shimano product which has held up very well over the last two years is the Shimano HG71 chain.

Help me decide on this product: SOONHUA Bike Front Derailleur, Bicycle Derailleur, Hard Metal Bike Front Wheel 42T Chain Derailleur Gear for 42T 7,8,9 or 21,24,27 Speed Bikes with Clamp Size 31.8mm 34.9mm https://a.co/d/fKMqqHd