hub adapter versus rag joint.......

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
so after second fail with rear wheel and reading about the shitty huffy wheels i am wondering if spending the money on a hub adapter would solve a lot of problems with me tearing up those bearings and it wont put so much pressure on the spokes and wheel from what i gather in some info i found, would like to hear some of your experiences with this before i spend the money .

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Hub adapters are awesome. Well worth the money. It won't stop your cheap bearings from exploding, but it'll keep your sprocket straight and true, won't mess up your spokes, and they look pretty.

BTW, the three bolts holding the sprocket on are the only things I used loctite on. I had a bolt back out, catch my frame, lock up the wheel and send me into a 40mph skid. Not fun.

Other than that, it's one of the best upgrades you can make for your bike.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Doomracing

Jun 28, 2019
one thing on the adapter is I have read that you really need to key it to your all, or it can spin and still take out spokes. I'm still in build mode so I can only post what I have read.

Do they actually clamp tight enough to the axal to not need it being kkeyed to it?

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Adaptors have a limited clamping range, make sure your wheels have quality hubs. Huffy hubs a junk and are built for people who think they are going to ride and don;t
I have never seen a motorized Huffy that at some point didn't fail.
Tom

Reactions: waynesdata

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Adaptors have a limited clamping range, make sure your wheels have quality hubs. Huffy hubs a junk and are built for people who think they are going to ride and don;t
I have never seen a motorized Huffy that at some point didn't fail.
Tom
Someone posted about adding a key way to the hub adapter around 2017 or so. Was very nice setup. I would replace the wheel and disc mount a 36t