Decorative Valve Stem Caps

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This warning applies more to motorcycles than our bikes but because I know we have quite a few MC riders here I thought it couldn't hurt to pass along this story.

A friend, a Harley owner, and long distance rider watched his buddy crash after the rear tire blew at 70mph while towing a trailer. The tires were new and the pressure had been checked the evening before the trip. Along with checking tire pressure the guy had also installed some 'skull' valve stem caps.
Don't know why he didn't check for interference but the cap on the rear wheel was hitting the brake caliper. Just enough to knock the stem loose and it blew out of the rim. At 70mph you can imagine what happened next. He was wearing leathers and a helmet but is still in serious condition.
His loud exhaust kept him from hearing the cap hitting the caliper so he was unaware that anything was wrong until the tire blew.

Coincidentally, another friend had installed some '8 Ball' caps and after hearing about the accident described above he checked and found the 8 Ball on the rear wheel broken in half and his valve stem was bent. Yep, it was hitting his caliper.
Freaky stuff, but something all you bikers should be aware of. This might only apply to Harleys but I would think any bike with rear disc brakes could be a candidate. Check yours if you have anything that would extend the length of your valve stems.
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a friend that warned me about the same. His didn't even hit anything. It was some kind of skull or something like that, and just the centrifugal force at 100 mph was enough to pull it out of the wheel.

In his case he did hear the air coming out and avoided a crash, but was still stuck with a flat tire.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I was thinking of getting those blinking stems for safety. IDK if it would be a problem or not for a MB...

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I was thinking of getting those blinking stems for safety. IDK if it would be a problem or not for a MB...
They woulds be more of a safety feature on our MB's. The blinking stems stick straight out, (nothing to hit) and riding at night can be seen quite a ways off. Oh and we have tubes in our tires (can't sling the stem out of the wheel), and doing what a whole 45mph..

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I just replace the standard black caps and put a set of standard style chromed caps on. I have a set of caps here somewhere that light (red) when the wheel turns, one of them used to catch somewhere on the back of the wife's e-bike/scooter all the time.

Good to know abut the custom shaped ones though, I wouldn't want to be within shrapnel distance when one came apart at speed.

Last edited: