50s Schwinn headset wont fit monark springer

GoldenMotor.com

Master Link

Apr 7, 2016
Merced, CA
Vintage lower race is much smaller than race supplied with the new fork. I should have measured fork before filling to fit race. I have a 1950 Schwinn Panther with a springer from Sportsman Flyer. I mark my springer with blue sharpie to monitor my filling progress. These races are fairly rare and have broken two already. Man they look like so close but no banana. I have a dial caliper that measures in thousands of an inch. Can somebody give me an idea of measurement difference between race and fork to work. If I can get close maybe I can heat race with propane torch before installing. What do you guys think?:-||

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Master Link.

Dang, that is an awesome bike! I have never done what your thinking so can't really be of help. But some one will happen along having tried or done that.

I'm drooling over pictures of your bike. https://www.google.com/search?q=195...vdXTAhUljVQKHfb9BP4Q_AUICygC&biw=1093&bih=517

One of my all time favorite builds was a wally world "Point Beach" A poor facsimile of a panther. Not that it was a bad bike. (well, kinda sucked as a bike but was a great MB!)

And it did come some what close to that work of art, the Panther is. I had one as a kid and that was the first time I thought about adding a motor. Think I was 7 or so.

Edit; found an old thread about 'ol Red. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1246

Really loved that MB.

Last edited:

Master Link

Apr 7, 2016
Merced, CA
Dan, I really like Ole Red, looks like great daily rider. You can appreciate fenders when it gets wet. I'm still waiting for my NOS bearing race to come in. I think I will shoot for two thousandths clearance, if I can get that close. I may have weakened the race by grinding some off of the inside. Won't be taking any off of the new one, going to buy a high quality new file today.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Couldn't you just buy a new complete headset? If I'm understanding you correctly, the original schwinn race is a smaller inside diameter than the monarch fork tube, and the new one won't fit the bearing, and into the the lower cup?

Schwinn always used a different headset, where you had to use the complete unit. They had small, flatter bearing cages that fit into the cups, and it all fit together in a compact design.

A good bike shop should be able to set you up with a complete headset, if you bring the frame and fork in.

Master Link

Apr 7, 2016
Merced, CA
Actually the original headset is one thing I want original, upper bearing race is reversed. I realize I could have had other options. I ordered an old school headset supposed to fit 1" fork but did not fit, bearing cups fit loosely in frame. New bearing race came in today, measures .042" smaller than fork. I'm shooting to file .039" to .040" off of fork before trying again. Now that new fork is modified newer headset is no longer an option.

Master Link

Apr 7, 2016
Merced, CA
Ok third time was a charm, my frame and sportsman flyer springer are married up. Had to see how the vintage monark bars would look. May start a thread when I have more parts, as you can see I have hardly anything to work with at this time. I can't seem to load pictures, post them later when I figure this out.