24" Huffy "cafe racer"

GoldenMotor.com

Truckasaurus

Sep 26, 2021
I've really wanted to get into small engines as a hobby, and this is my first build. I bought a cheapy china engine and crammed into this little frame. I bought a cheap cafe racer seat that gave me an excuse to use my 40 dollar stick welder I bought off my neighbor, and fabricated a seat bracket and foot pegs made from an old set of handlebars. I also bought a fender set for a kids dirt bike, and to top it off, made a headlight fairing out of my old crappy welding helmet and a headlamp. Tis a super fun little bike that allowed me some open air cruisin since I have been forbidden from owning a motorcycle. Honestly, the way people drive these days I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to commute on a 2 wheeler anyways. I've enjoyed the forum so far and hope to learn more from y'all.
IMG_20210926_163602.jpg
IMG_20210926_163617.jpg
IMG_20210926_163653.jpg

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Good job the seat and the bug shield looks good But I would of kept the pedals.
It's no longer a Motor Bicycle.

Reactions: Greg58

Truckasaurus

Sep 26, 2021
Good job the seat and the bug shield looks good But I would of kept the pedals.
It's no longer a Motor Bicycle.
Lol I never even considered that. Man, I'm really not very good at this internet as a social medium. Shot down before I even made it off the runway! :crash:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Im going to assume pedal removal is sacrilegious, and I should remove myself from the forum?
Nah it's cool, It's your bike do whatever ya want to It.
My personal preference would be to keep the pedals
To me having the pedals has many advantages

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
A few advantages - Having the pedals help engine performance, starting, pedal assist from stops and on hills + ya can always ride it like a bicycle in an emergency
A guy like you would probably love a shift kit that allows you to use the engine power and switch gears using the bicycles gears. Need the crankset and front sprocket for that.
Your bike would be awesome with a shift kit. Because it's got that M/C look
Besides having Pedals also makes it legal as a Motor bicycle

Last edited:

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Very sick build, clean looking. I do have to agree with adding the pedals if you can. Especially with these engines in particular. I could be wrong but you want to drop the clutch with a rolling start to be easier on the clutch pads.

Maybe find some wider pedals so you still have it as far out as your foot pegs?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Take from some of us here that have broke down, when something happens to the engine, chain or whatever pedals are very much appreciated. I broke the engine side chain once when I first built mine, I used the stock chain which at the time was #410, I had to pedal about three mile.

Truckasaurus

Sep 26, 2021
Take from some of us here that have broke down, when something happens to the engine, chain or whatever pedals are very much appreciated. I broke the engine side chain once when I first built mine, I used the stock chain which at the time was #410, I had to pedal about three mile.
Fair enough! All valid points about the pedals, but lucky for me I have a wonderful wife with a pickup truck, and she's only a phone call away. Thankfully, this is just a joyride for me, so i never really take it that far out, but I can definitely see the benefit of a manual option! Next build pedals stay on! Gonna have to look into this shift kit action, that wrench mentioned, has piqued my interest...

Reactions: Forbidden Tuna

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sick Bike Parts is a vendor on the sides of the forum, they have what is said to be just about as good as they get. Don’t get the cheap one form eBay, “cheap and good” rarely go together.

Reactions: Forbidden Tuna

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
I have their shift kit bottom bracket on my Huffy Ultima build. I used it with a non standard 79cc 4 stroke so all I needed was the bracket and chainring, but they sell kits for the 2 stroke engines and the 49cc 4 stroke engines.

Here's my Huffy to give you an idea of how the chain ring works out. Gives me 6 speeds.
20210825_182959.jpg

The chain ring has a 1 way bearing so you can still pedal assist, and once the engine overcomes your pedalling it freewheels so your pedals don't spin.

Truckasaurus

Sep 26, 2021
I have their shift kit bottom bracket on my Huffy Ultima build. I used it with a non standard 79cc 4 stroke so all I needed was the bracket and chainring, but they sell kits for the 2 stroke engines and the 49cc 4 stroke engines.

Here's my Huffy to give you an idea of how the chain ring works out. Gives me 6 speeds.
View attachment 108824

The chain ring has a 1 way bearing so you can still pedal assist, and once the engine overcomes your pedalling it freewheels so your pedals don't spin.
So, that rides the low gear on your front sprocket? Remove or dont use the front derailleur? What size engine, and speed? Seems like even 49cc would haul with 6 gears! Thanks for pics and explanation!