Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: 1980 Pedal Power front friction drive 1HP 12v

Hi,Ron.Weekend before last I had a guy stop in and looked at my bikes and told me he picked up a PP set up and asked me if I knew anything about them.
I told him I didn't and asked him around what year he thought it was and he had no idea,and the conversation changed to something else.
Then a couple days later I come home and there was a box in front of my garage door with the PP motor and a mount and a brake lever and that's about it.
There isn't any mounts to mount it on a bike.
Are these things worth any thing?Kip.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: 1980 Pedal Power front friction drive 1HP 12v

I have still have one in a box which came on a three wheeler I once had (and wish now I had kept for a gas project bike). It ran off of a garden tracker battery which of course was quite heavy. It would have been adequate for running a three wheeler to the store for groceries and that sort of thing. Not very fast, in other words. It is a Bosch starter motor and I don't know what would happen if you tried to give it more juice, say like 24 volts. The newer batteries would certainly weight a lot less than a garden tractor battery. Considering what is available today in electrics, this is a pretty primitive rig, but it worked. I think this would be 1960s or 1970s. I can dig mine out to see how it mounted if you want. I don't remember now.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...