Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  


Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Whiteride's Avatar
Whiteride Whiteride is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 31
Default Re: 80cc? Is it really? And isn't 50cc a motorcycle?

I'm sure every State and Province has different guidelines and even in doing a little research how the rules apply to mine, is is rather murky at best. In Canada or at least Alberta, 50cc would make my motorized bicycle a moped and it would then not be exempt from registration, licensing and insurance requirements. As our present civic bylaws stand at under 50cc "it is just a bicycle with a motor" (as quoted by our local bylaw enforcement types) and not subject to any real restrictions other than not being allowed on any of our bike paths from which any powered bicycle including electrics are banned. We are free to ride on any roadway and unlike mopeds or motorcycles, a helmet is not required. Of course if one wishes to operate one like a retard ie: excessive speeds, that would fall under normal Motor Vehicle Laws and open a whole other side of woe like speeding, dangerous driving, and other enforceable laws which would also bring the machine under closer scrutiny. If you want a motorcycle IMHO then buy a motorcycle. At 49cc there's plenty of speed and power to kill yourself and bicycles are simply not designed for the same speeds as mopeds or motorcycles.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:34 AM
fredric3144's Avatar
fredric3144 fredric3144 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: lufkin tx
Posts: 108
Default Re: 80cc? Is it really? And isn't 50cc a motorcycle?

I live in TX so any engine under 50cc needs no tags , license or even age restrictions . My first build a 50cc ?? 49cc got me pulled over by the local police they looked at it scratched their heads and said meet us at the station . (about 5 miles away) They had nicely stopped me at the bottom of a hill so had to push it up the hill far enough to turn around and go down to get it started . I met them at the station and they went into about 5 law books trying to find something to get me for . Finally they tossed my and orange safety vest said wear that and your helmet . When I left the station the six pack of cokes I had gone to get was down to only 2 cokes left in the basket thirsty cops I guess . I have now upgraded to the 80cc or 66cc I no longer have to peddle assist up hills . With no markings on the motor to tell it isn't the same 50cc I have had no problems . I left the safety vest in my basket a squirrel took my vest to line his nest with at the top of a tree . My helmet got old and started getting brittle so I no longer wear it . I love puttering around on my motorized bicycle and get lots of people asking me about it but thus far I have the only one in my area . (Lufkin TX or actually Hudson TX) I have thought about building some to sell but decided not to as there is no way you could warranty one . They all seem to have minor problems to keep you doing adjustment on a regular basis .
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
langolier langolier is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 57
Default Re: 80cc? Is it really? And isn't 50cc a motorcycle?

WI DMV rules are:

To clarify, do you drive a moped or a motorcycle?

A moped, sometimes called a motor scooter, is a motor vehicle capable of speeds not greater than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind. The power source must be an integral part of the vehicle and there should be a seat for the operator. A vehicle's engine must meet the following standards, based on its features, to be considered a moped.

If the vehicle has an automatic transmission, the engine must be certified by the manufacturer at 50 cubic centimeters or less or an equivalent power unit. This applies to most newer models bought in the United States. If you have a question regarding whether your vehicle is a moped or motorcycle, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles.

If the vehicle is equipped with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, the engine must be certified by the manufacturer at not more than 130 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.

Any vehicle with a larger engine capacity is a motorcycle, regardless of its appearance. If you are unsure of the classification of your vehicle, check with your dealer or local DMV office.

Law of Logical Argument:
"Anything is possible if you don't know what your talking about".

Last edited by langolier; 08-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.