Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Clutch question.

I have fried my clutch pads to the point of drum destruction. I might be able to sand down the drum to accept new pads but the shoes were only contacting 1/2 of the drum surface grinding half the surface.. h well. I am getting some new shoes at the local lawn show. I ordered a set for a GX50 though I have a Robin EHO35 and read somewhere they are all 76mm a while back. My question(s) is a nagging one in my brain.

Does the spring break when the clutch is worn?

I also bought some springs that match for 1.50 each (silver steel) for emergency after the black stock one broke. Are they strong enough or acceptable? The silver worked on the worn out shoes for 1 month and just snapped. The shoes look like hot knife through butter.

The clutch drum on my friction drive is thread locked to the drive spindle. Any ideas on removal of that? I thought perhaps a propane torch on the hardened red goo and a vice and wrench outta do it. Any ideas?

Thanks all of you..
Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Default Re: Clutch question.

I think the original post was referring to the centrifugal clutches that typically come with the four stroke engines.

Roadkill, am I right in assuming that you have a 4-cycle with a centrifugal clutch?

Last edited by Bikeguy Joe; 06-29-2009 at 06:35 AM.