DUDE! Where's my locking freewheel ??!!

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Probably be hard to explain but what would work (working from the hub out) is a fixed freewheel attached to the hub then somehow have a bearing attached to it or the axle that the sprocket rides on. A "drive plate" would be attached to the fixed freewheel and the sprocket would attach to the bearing. Next would be an engage plate that had a series of pins that would go through the sprocket and into holes in the drive plate. The engage plate could be actuated by a pickle fork system similar to a clutch fork on a car.

Makes sense in my head. rotfl

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Staton has freewheel sprockets for their chain drive kits.

Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

They also sell a very high quality hub with dual sealed bearings to put it on but it's pricey at $119.

Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

They have to be used with a pull start engine since there's no way to lock the freewheel.

With the DAX Titan rack mount the engine can be shut off for downhill and then just reach back with your left hand and fire it up at the bottom of the hill, I do it all the time. It doesn't have a freewheel setup but there's not too much drag turning the chain and jackshaft.

Last edited:

Miles

Sep 16, 2009
UK
Thanks Ron!

It's real, but not commercially available anymore, unfortunately. It was a product made back in the '70s to allow fixedwheel riders to coast downhill. There is a mechanism activated by a lever and cable to enable lock/unlock on-the-fly.

I've been giving the idea some thought because it's also something that's needed for electric drives - in order to be able to have both freewheeling and regen. braking.

A web-search on "locking freewheel" led me here : )

I think I would design the changeover mechanism differently but the locking freewheel aspect seems sound.

Miles

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Miles, If That Was Currently Available In Left Hand Thread, It Would Be Great For The China Girl In Frame Builds. They Could Bore The Large Sprocket To Fit And Bolt Together Using The Freewheel Teeth. Cool Setup From The Past!! Ron .cvlt1