Hello from Idaho!

GoldenMotor.com

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Hi all, I'm Gordy from New Meadows, Idaho. My engine kit is coming tomorrow and I am very excited.

My wife and I own and operate (mom & pop shop) a bike/ski shop. I'm the mechanic so I'm looking forward to my first motorized bike project. But being a mom & pop shop we are very busy and I'm not sure when I'll have time to put it together. I'll get it done and post a photo. Anyway...

I find this whole world of motorized bicycles fascinating and inspiring. In America it seems transportation is all about extremes. You either drive a 3000+ lb automobile or you ride a bicycle. Not much in between. It doesn't have to be like that, and motor bicycles are fun projects to boot!

Well, I got customers coming in. See ya!

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Thank you very much! My first post probably did not convey how excited I really am about my first motorbicycle. I am severely distracted.

I'm even scheming on using the bottom bracket of my bike as a jackshaft so I can use both front and rear derailleurs to get the most out of the little 2-banger. On the other hand I'd like to keep the pedals. I'll probably build it up as intended to start.

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Today I got my engine kit Zoombicycles, or PowerKing on ebay. $120 shipped. Box was nice and neatly packaged, with three separate boxes within containing well organized and padded components. Only thing that looked a little crappy was the chain guard. It wasn't dented or scratched, it just looked like it wasn't very well painted, and I don't care. Everything else looks perfect.

Raining and cold today and I have too much to do, but tomorrow I'll build it!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Cody, Welcome To A Great Place And People. Man That Was Fast. I Really Like The Macho Baskets! That Must Be The New Delivery Truck, Or You Are Leaving Town. Why Do I Have The Feeling That Some Customers Have Been Severly Neglected?? Good Job . Your New Name Should Be "speedy Broken". Enjoy Your Machine. Ron

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Thanks Neat. I'm thinking ixnay on the asketbay. The double back basket is my fav, put them on a bunch of my bicycles, but they just look stupid on that motorbike. I gotta a huge messenger bag I can fit most what I wanna haul. Didn't like pedaling with it, but I won't be doing as much of that.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Cody, Just So I Did Not Give You The Wrong Idea. I Love Those Baskets. They Look Sturdy. Most Of Them Are Pos. They Would Look Better If They Sat Level. If You Have Use For Them, They Are Awsum. Anway, Welcome And Thanks For Sharing . Ron

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
You're right Ron, the baskets look good nice and level, and they can hold gangs of stuff. I'll get it figured.
But I think I have come up with a way to use the bottom bracket (pedal crank hub) as a jackshaft, and thereby run the engine through a full front and rear derailleur drivetrain.

I'm thinking using two chainrings (a 28 and 38 tooth) up front and seven sprocket cluster in back (11-34t). That will give me a huge gear range, but not too complex.

The only problem is the pedals. Either install put foot pegs to keep me from getting mangled by spinning pedals. Or I lose the pedals and have to install a pull-starter. Too broke to afford SBP's freewheeling crankset.

Damn need for speed is a disease. I gotta try it, though. High gearing and I could do freeway speeds on the flats!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Speedy, Ha Ha. It Is My Impression That The Little Motor Can Only Pull So Hard. Like The Little Engine That Thought He Could. When You Gear To High The Wind Resistance Kills Them. Dvdtz Rode His 70cc To My Place Yesterday. Has The 44 Tooth On The Rear, Tons Of Torque. He Had A 36 Tooth On Another Wheel And Liked It Better, But Did Not Trust It For The Trip. What Cc Do You Have? Maybe Just Gear It High, Pedal A Little To Get It Going, And Help It Up Hills. That Keeps The Rpm Dn And Enjoy Your New Ride. Ron

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Disaster. Busted three spokes on the rear wheel. Bent a basket strut too. Tried to limp home and got a flat tire.

Didn't use a strong enough wheel and riding on a bumpy gravel road killed it. An 8 mile round trip to get a raincoat my daughter left at the hot springs, that should have taken 30 minutes wound up taking almost 90 minutes.

Must get my bike back on the road.

Ron I got a 68.5cc engine, or at least that is what the badge riveted on the clutch cover says.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Cody, Sorry To Hear About Your Trouble. Most Riders Do Not Have Spoke Trouble That Soon. Luckly You Did Not Get Hurt. My Friend = Fairracing Had Some Hurt Put On Him A Few Days Ago When His Back Wheel Folded. Maybe You Should Look At "manic Machanic" Site In The Right Hand Column. He Has Adapter And Sprocket And A Very Good Price (like His Cost!, He Makes Them). The Bigger Engine Is Harder On Spokes. Ron

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Took 'er out yesterday for a 8 mile round trip errand. 1 mile gravel road killed the rear wheel. Popped three spokes and the tire. Took an hour to limp it home. Tomorrow I hope to get a new rear wheel on it.

barret

Jul 6, 2008
Boise, ID USA
Hi Cody! I know it's kind of belated, but welcome to the forum! I don't log in very often (school, work, and family commitments come first), but usually during the summer I try to post more often. I'm in Boise, and am glad to see other fellow Idahoans on here!

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Thanks barret. I moved to New Meadows from Nampa about five years ago. I didn't ride bikes, let alone motorized bikes when I lived there, but the Treasure Valley is a great place to ride. So wide open and so few hills.

My bike hasn't run in almost a month! I need to learn more about carbs.