Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default best gearbox?

I got a crummy gearbox on my huasheng (honda 4 stroke clone) and it squeals louder than the engine roars. The engine sounds awesome. Probably doesn't have the same long term reliability as the honda but it's still nice. Anyhow I was thinking of getting the stage 3 gearbox from to replace my 50 cent figure eight gearbox. Currently my gearbox will slow my coasting speed down to about eight miles an hour, maybe 10 on downhill. I don't even need breaks. Would the stage 3 gearbox solve the sound issue and the slow coasting issue?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Default Re: best gearbox?

I'm bumping this one up....anyone ?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: best gearbox?

I have the Stage 2, but the internals are the same.

The Grubee has a freewheel built into the gearbox sprocket so assuming that the rear wheel itself spins free, it should coast much better.

As for noise, some have experienced some gear noise and I did early on, but the engine was always the more prominent noise. With grease in the gearbox, I do not have gear noise any more. Over all, I think it is clearly better than the "Hoot". Some have mentioned shaft length issues with interchaging the boxes, but I don't know anything about that.

BTW- I have heard all good about the Huasheng. It makes a bit less power than the Honda, but all seem to agree its a good engine.
29/10ths cubic inches of raw power.
HoughMade at