Bicycle Motor Squealing

GoldenMotor.com

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008
Hey,

Ive been doing quite a bit of lurking and searching and have an idea of what my problem might be but figured Id pick your brains. Anyway, I stopped riding the bike for a while because of this squealing noise that sounds like it is coming from the motor.

After some searching I narrowed it down to either the clutch or the main bearing within the motor. I adjusted the clutch as per some directions that came with the motor. The clutch works a bit better now but there was never anything wrong with it.

The squealing comes regardless if the clutch is engaged or not. Its harder to hear when the motor is engaged because it is running. It does not seem to vary with rpm but is intermittent.

Is the main bearing or bushing shot? I bought the motor from King Motor Sport and have almost 20 hours on it. I am quite capable of tearing down the motor, but have not had time to do it until today. Its been some time since its been ran. If I tear it apart what should I be looking for? Can I purchase the bearing anywhere like say tractor supply or Napa or something of the sort?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008
Re: Motor Squealing

Well I have the clutch plate removed. After reading another thread about the teeth chipping I figured Id test for that. Yes it was chipping so I used the dremel and made some more clearance. I have not put the cover back on, went for a wheel down the driveway and it is still squealing. No cover so its not chirping any more but this is a constant squeal that happens every time the wheel turns. It seems to be coming from the shaft where the chain mates to the clutch, though I cant really get in there to check it out.

Any ideas?

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

No, Ive adjusted the clutch several times. Right now it sits with out the cover to the clutch or the pressure plate attached and it still squeals. Of course the motor isnt running, this is just wheeling around the driveway

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

I haven't tried it with the wheel propped in a stand but wheeling around the driveway yes. And no if the motor is running and its sitting there with the clutch engaged theres no squealing.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Pretty simple to pull the chain gear, the small shaft and the single ball bearing. Pull that stuff out, inspect - lube the heck out of the stuff and reassemble. If that doesn't work then go in deeper.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

by your description you have a main shaft bearing going bad follow my tear down to get to the bearings they are both the same and metal shielded on one side you should be able to cross ref. the numbers to get replacements the ones in there now are cheap very cheap that's why you hear the cheap, cheap, noise.rotfl. I used a plastic hammer to tap them and the shaft out it will come out from either side just don't beat it hard. Don't take the bearing on the clutch apart like I did unless you want to play pick up cause those little bastards I mean balls will scatter to the four winds and then some. You can lube them with a light grease with a needle or machine oil. As for the bearings clean out the old grease and pack the cavity with a good grease the clutch mounting stud when pulled out makes for a easy way to grease the bearing. you might try that first but if the thing is crying it will be faster and easier to take apart and fix it. Good luck and have fun

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

Okay, well after reading your tear down a bit more thoroughly, I have a few questions.

You mention not to take it apart on the clutch side. Currently I have the pressure plate removed and the nut that is on the outer side of the rod that moves the pressure plate back and forth. The both the large and small sproket are still attached. How much further do I need to tear this side down.

I see in your tear down that you move from this side to tearing it from the top down, is that necessary for what I need to get to? Can i pull this rod out from the other side, drive side?

Also, how should I go about removing this shaft and keeping the loose bearings from falling out. I assume it is in the center of the clutch plate (plate with pads on it) in the two metal parts (I assume one is a cover and the other the race?)?

Sorry for all the questions, seeing the 50 some odd bearings fly out on the tear down is making me want to get this right the first time. I don't necessarily want to tear it down from the top down since it seems the piston side of this motor still works. It seems to be the drive end thats screwing up and if I don't have to Id rather not tinker with side that works.

The more details I can get the better off I will be.
I appreciate it, hopefully I can get motoring again soon.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

The only part you don't want to mess with is the clutch assembly you can take the clutch clean off by removing the bolt in the center. the bearing that can come loose and all of the bb sized balls is in the clutch to get that mess apart you will have to press it apart as it won't fall apart which is a good thing cause you don't need to take that part apart just off.
take off the nuts that hold on the clutch and the sprocket use the puller to get the clutch off and the chains sprocket off. Now you can lightly tap the main shaft out I'd use a plastic mallet and knock it out towards the clutch side that way you won't ding the little center shaft that is sticking out on the clutch side the clutches bearing will come out with the shaft and then you can knock out the bearing thats on the sprockets side these 2 bearing are the ones you are probably going to be replacing. did you understand all that? I hope so rotfl Good luck
This is the part that I took apart you don't need to take this apart just off it presses apart so you should not have a mess like this unless you press these parts apart.What looks like dirt or grease is all them little ball bearings what a pain to put all back together.

This is the shaft you want to remove there is a bearing still on this shaft and its one of the 2 bearing that is possibly causing the squeeling

you will not need to take the engine top end off as all this is the drive/clutch parts on the engines assembly. should not be any supprises as long as you don't take the clutchs pressed together parts apart.The big spring is the real spring that puts pressure on the pressure plate this is the spring that keeps the clutch from slipping. and yes you can take it all apart if you want to clean and regrease it.

Last edited:

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

Sounds pretty reasonable. On the clutch side I assume I have to take that small sprocket off to get the larger one off? I removed the pressure plate and the nut on the outside of that bolt and it seems the pad plate is still on there. I still have the small sprocket on.

I will tinker with this some more on friday hopefully and have those bearings out. Any idea of what type of bearings are in there? I work at a bike shop and have access to any sort of bicycle bearings. Or am I going to have to go to a small motor shop (lawnmower place), tractor supply, or a motor cycle (dirt bike) shop?

Is this a pretty common occurrence with these motors? Did something cause these bearings to go bad or are they really that crappy? I also wound up breaking off a piece of the chain cover on the drive side a while back. Chain bunched up and put a nice break in the thinest part. I JB Welded it back into place but I didn't give it enough time to properly cure before putting torque on it. So I almost wonder if my chain being not properly tensioned is putting a force on the rod that is more than designed for?

Thanks guys

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

No you can leave the small gear on. The front chain sprocket will have to come off.
Bearings can be bought at a bearing supply house(maybe at tractor supply ) I found a supply house on the net Bailey bearings but you might have to by more than you want to get a good deal and I'm talking around $3.00 for each but you will need to buy 10. But this is a wild guess. your old bearing will have the numbers on their side use that for ordering new ones. Advance auto might be able to get you what you need in bearing I've had them get me bearing before. I didn't bother to write down the numbers when I had it apart and I'd have to look to see if I wrote the numbers on the post as I don't remember.
So far you are the only one who's had bearing trouble that I know of. Did you try and run your chain too tight? I run mine loose. The aluminum can be soldered back together you get the aluminum solder at harbor freight for around $10.00 or more for 2lbs. again that's a guess but I've repaired all kinds of broken aluminum with this stuff you use a propane torch to make the repairs and you have to have a stainless steel wire brush to clean the area to repair and don't let the stainless steel wire brush ever touch any other steel for some reason it will screw up the brush for cleaning aluminum that you intend to solder.

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

I never thought about soldering the case together. I figured since it was cheap cast pot aluminum that i was pretty much SOL. I will have to try that as well.

My chain runs relatively tight. Its typically too loose and tends to bind up. The hardest part is getting the chain set right because my rear drive sprocket isn't centered on the wheel. I am using a cheap 32 spoke quick release aluminum wheel and from the looks of it, the sprocket is for a 36 spoke wheel or even a cheap steel wheel.

Haven't figured out a solution to that, other than running it cockeyed and hoping for the best!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

All of my bikes are cheap junk and they are out if the city dump.No Kidding.Well the black bike is for sure and my blue bike which used to be my sons was almost thrown in the dumpster by me then I decided to fix it up then I thought it needs and engine. Well everything went to **** from there and here I am now doing this stuff trying to keep you guys going.rotfl
your rear wheel should work good for getting the sprocket on with less spokes I would think?! You do have the fiber wahers one on the inside of the spokes and one on the outside don't you? You should have the rear sprocket then the fiber washer then spokes then the fiber washer inside the spokes then the 3 simicircle metal rings that the bolts go through. there is pictures on the forum for this as well you will need to look.

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

ill hafta check those pictures out but IIRC there was too many holes on the chain ring and not enough in the wheel. Plus they aligned up screwy.

Ill look for that picture today, what thread is it in?

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

Well looks like i screwed up. Got the bearings out with that shaft.

I wound up mashing the clutch end of the shaft ruining the threads. Any idea of how i could fix this? I doubt I can buy a new one of these short of buying a new motor. Damn Chinese junk!

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

Oh yeah, forgot to add.
There was an extra ball bearing in there, was that supposed to be in the shaft on the drive end? That bugger popped out on me when i was taking it apart.

Also the bearings don't seem to have anything wrong with them. They're a bit noisy but fairly smooth even with out grease on them. They have a little bit of play. I need to check and see if i can find new ones to see if there is a difference. They are size 6202z.

Still frustrated about that shaft. Would it be possible to still run if i cut that last thread off?