Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Push Trailer

Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Push Trailer

Alright, I was inspired looking on the web, wanting to commute to work for cheap, one thing led to another, and I found out about push trailers. I have been inspired by different ideas, and specifically ZSANERIDER's push trailers.
I went out and bought the 2.5HP Harbor freight 4 stroke, and just got done buying all the parts I will need (clutch, hub,rim/tire,chain,jackshaft and odds and ends).
I start building the trailer frame tomorrow, and will be using angle, and square tubing.
I'm using a 4 inch rim, aprox 11" tire, and 48T sprocket. I'm not sure how the fuzz is going to be here in nj, but I dont plan on driving like a shmuck, and will keep speeds under 40MPH.
My commute to work is 22 miles each way, so it's going to be pretty interesting.
Pics to come!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Push Trailer

You've got a good start, njmalibu.

What engine sprocket are you choosing and what's your final gear ratio gonna be?

What kind of brakes do you have? You'll be needing EXCELLENT stopping power with that push trailer.

My girlie cruiser "The Dragon Lady" has awesome power, so I redid the brakes. Up front are front vee brakes. In the rear are the coaster brake and a side-pull caliper brakes. It's enough for continuous stops above 35mph.

I also have a 6hp push trailer project I'm working on.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I am really interested in how they handle and need pictures when your done, sounds really interesting
Old 04-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I too, am interested in this build. Please take lots of pics.

There's a set of plans in an old Popular Mechanics magazine somewhere, (1940's I think), for a motorized trailer. I haven't seen it since I was a kid though. That was 40 some years ago. I've been searching googlebooks but, haven't found it yet.

What is your overall drive ratio going to be?

buzzardbait
Old 04-26-2009, 02:52 AM
Staff

Can't wait to see your build NJ. Seems there are so many advantages to a pusher. Cargo, ride and less room constraints.

Znsane is pusher guru! This is a great thread on some of his more recent work.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/new-6-...iler-7056.html

I want 2 ride my bicycle

Last edited by Dan; 04-26-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks guys! I have seen Zsane's posts, actually were I got the idea for the 2.5 HF engine. It just so happened to be on sale on the flyer I get in the mail, and I printed out a 20% off coupon made it a sweet deal.
Getting ready to start the frame here this morning, got it all planned out.
This may sound crazy, but i had actually planned on this being a stick/tig welder / bike trailer hybrid. I had recently bought a 10HP B&S motor, and Ford 3g alternator to make a stick/tig rig, and was going to make it into a push trailer as well. changed my plans because I dont like the noise the 10hp makes. I'm trying to keep it super quiet, and will be experimenting with different homemade mufflers.

The final drive ratio will be 4.8 to 1. I'm using a 12" tire, 10 tooth clutch sprocket, and 48 tooth axle sprocket to start with, approx 3800 RPM comes out to about 28-30 MPH.
Should have decent low and mid range, and plan on pedaling a lot. I can always change sprockets in the future for more speed.
Also, I found that a standard sized milk crate fits perfectly over the motor, so I'm using one along with sheet steel to hide the engine. If I can get this thing as quiet as I would like, hidden, and pedal, you'll never know what I'm up to!
I'll post pics along the way!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 AM

I just bought one of those covered trailers you haul kids in at a garage sale for $25. If your drive wheel was in the center of the two tires on the trailer it would hide that engine well and would look like you are pulling, not "pushing". The only thing I have not figured out is if the two wheels should be modified with springs so that they are "floating" and on the ground but really it's the drive wheel that is holding the trailer up. The only reason for this mod may be to help on corners but I'm not really sure if that is even needed.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

toytime, that sounds like a neat idea. you may even just be able to modify it to a single wheel. I havent tried a 2 wheel trailer, but i wouldnt think it would handle turns as well as a single wheel. The floating idea would work well though. almost like an independent suspension. In fact, I may have an idea if you are interested. It may be the same thing you are thinking of.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:11 PM

I can see that you understand the build. The reason I would leave the wheels on is so that it looks original. Just some guy pulling a trailer, I'm sure you understand.....Let's hear your ideas...I have a Honda 4 stroke engine, a "lil indian" mini bike for parts, the trailer, a new clutch and chain and a welder.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Toytime, I'm going to e-mail you a sketch of what I was thinking.
Basically it will make the original tires float like you are talking about. Has anyone built anything similar to this yet, utilizing a kid trailer? The ultimate disguise!