clutch pin question

GoldenMotor.com

squire

Nov 22, 2008
tampa
hey i seem to lose my clutch pin, so im just going to make a new one out of some hardned steel, but does any one know the measure ments???
thanks to all.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
* The original clutch pin is 8 mm dia. or you can use 5/16 by about 25mm or 1 inch long.* A dowel pin would work perfect. If not you could get by with drill rod. Remember there is a ball bearing inside the clutch pin, so make sure you didn't loose it also.* John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have problems finding drill rod as John suggested, you can use the shank of a 5/16" twist drill. While you're making that part, and if you can't afford one of Creative Engineering's clutch actuator kits, you might try this. Carefully round off the end of the clutch pin where it contacts the Cam inside the cover. If you have the equipment, smooth, even polish the end of the pin and be sure to lubricate it when reinstalling. It's been my experience that the kit supplied clutch pins are all very rough on the end and even with lubrication (grease) the action can be hard. I even went so far as to remove the cam from the cover and smoothed the contacting surface of it where it pushes against the pin. I finished up the smoothing process with a buffing wheel and compoind so the two parts looked like chrome when finished. The difference in clutch pull is amazing. Again, I'm not trying to take any business away from Jim at CE, because his actuator is a work of art but tight budgets sometimes require a cheaper approach. Good Luck.
Tom