Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Expense, reliability and support

Hi Just joined. Excited. I plan to build a motorized bike. I'll get a new bike I guess, but there's a guy in Trexlertown, Pa. who has lots of decent used ones. Can someone recommend a reasonably priced small engine, that's reliable and has good product support. I will be asking a lot of questions, I am new to this. Thanks in advance.
Bill
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Expense, reliability and support

gasbike.net has good price small engine kits,but for the support and manuals id look on this forum for them.

i paid $149 + 30shipping + 20 for used roadmaster walmart 26"bike
total=$200

Last edited by Cabinfever1977; 04-08-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:04 PM

This is my second season running a chinese 2 stroke N-70,I really Love it and the price on these 2 strokes is right I would say the QC at the factory isnt everything id like to see,the casting is a bit poor but for my first project it continues to serve me well.
I opted to buy a new bike for the project,just a simple schwinn skyliner from wallmart,Youd be best to take the derailers off and run it direct..in short the whole project was on the road for about 3 bills,not bad when you consider alternatives.
Chat with as many folks as you can,part of the fun is in the constant experimenting
Hope I can help.....Rob in CT
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

To Rob in Ct and others, thank you! Apparently in Pa. you have to get these creations inspected, titled, plated and insured. It's complicated. Just to get on the road modestly and safely would you guys recommend a plane jane single speed platform bike? What about brakes, and do they require headlights, horns, signals? Sorry for the seemingly redundant questions but this is all new to me. Rob, where are you in Ct.? I'm familiar with the state.
Thanks Bill
Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

In Pa. you will need to make it like a moped, or do what we do in Ohio, and just ride them (illegally).
Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Hey Bill,im just a bit north of you in the poconos and yea Pa laws are a bit screwy for these builds. I just got mine built in the past 30 days and havent really tried to get them registered. Im gonna wait to see what kind of attention I receive from the local Popo and go from there.

but here is a link that was started in this forum over Pa laws

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1943
Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
minor bike philosopher

Or go electric
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
To Rob in Ct and others, thank you! Apparently in Pa. you have to get these creations inspected, titled, plated and insured. It's complicated. Just to get on the road modestly and safely would you guys recommend a plane jane single speed platform bike? What about brakes, and do they require headlights, horns, signals? Sorry for the seemingly redundant questions but this is all new to me. Rob, where are you in Ct.? I'm familiar with the state.
Thanks Bill
Im in Wallingford..AKA wallyworld,Na so far its still a bicycle and the cops dont bother us much,sometimes curious though,I wave at most of them.In wallyworld you will want your lights in order if you ride at nite! Id recomend what I did,throw a 2 stroke on and go from there,you know what You prefer for safety.Hand signals are fine here.my breaks are simple calipers although I burn them out often.
PM me and Ill tell you my dealer,I dont want to be un PC....LOL
Old 04-10-2009, 02:05 AM

hrm. evidently I cant show you a pic of my bike due to "not being an active member".. I found the Grubee Starfire Gen II to be decent.. I have been building out bikes using micargi and schwinn beach cruisers.. Usually I can find motor+ bike for about $400. I'd suggest trying eBay for the Micargi Cougar GTS. They run about $200 or so, but are a sturdy frame and look instantly classic. I would try to stay away from any stretch beach cruisers though, as the lowrider/longer body makes for a difficult mounting as the extra chain and chain leaders needed cost more as well as getting the positioning just right..
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 AM

WELCOME! go on ebay look under bicycle motor kit. cheap! cheap! thats where i got mine. 4000 miles + , with mods. pk 80

Last edited by DEATH4OF4; 04-10-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: !@#*