Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Tire Question

The tires that came on my Whizzer are 24 x 2.125 Cheng Shin - they say on the side for "Electric Bike Use Only". I know they are a lot less gummy/soft than the tires on my cruiser bicycles.

I was wondering if there are specific tires that one should use or can the 24 x 2.125 or 24 x 3 cruiser bicycle tires be used. I know they would wear quicker - but maybe give a bit more traction - that and the availability of the "Electric Bike" tires like the Cheng Shins may not be as readily available.

And is there a speed difference rating? Seems like when I look up "motorbike tires", "motor bike tires", "moped tires" or even just "motorcycle tires" I am not coming up with tires in the 24" size at all. But I can find tons of bicycle cruiser tires in my size. And I was thinking that as long as I get a good quality thorn resistant tube and a heavy duty rim liner it would be ok - as long as the bead on the tire is strong and can stand the stresses.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Default Re: Tire Question

I would go with "regular" tires and feel safe and secure. I have well over a thousand miles at speed on motorized bikes with cruiser type 1.90 Bell tires from W-Mart.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Default Re: Tire Question

I would say to just run good quality bicycle tires w/ heavy duty tubes! Whizzers aren't deathly fast...
For motorized bicycle sales, service & engine kits in Los Angeles, please visit us at-

Follow VMB on facebook>>>

Follow VMB on Instagram>>>