Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Snatched defeat from the jaws of success

I am working at installing a 4 HP Lawnboy 2-stroke in a bike. I made a rectangular 10 ga. 7X8" plate with a shaft hole and 2 for crankcase mount bolts and 2 for exhaust outlet. I fond I had an old rear exhaust pipe from a 1400 cc Suzuki Intruder that looked like it would crank the exhaust up and back, I made a short stack and welded it to the mount plate. On this I slipped the curvy piece so it would direct the smoke aft. I decided to weld it in place. Darned if I didn't get it 90 degrees off such that the cylinder would be positioned vertically rather than horizontal. Anyhow, on positioning it in a frame I discovered it invaded leg room anyhow. Now I have sawed it off and slicing vees out of one side to weld into slots on other side to make it hug the frame. Haven't done that in years since I used to stick expansion chambers together for friends. UGH !
Old 10-19-2016, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Snatched defeat from the jaws of success

Gotta have some pictures of this. It sounds Frankenstein awesome!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 PM

There are now dozens of your fellow builders sitting there saying to themselves, I'm not the only one.

Steve.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:35 AM

Of course it happens. I did not initially think I would have a problem with chain tension adjustment. You know half links could maybe have worked. Anyhow then finally I broken down and spent like 5 hrs with a few grinding disks on the angle grinder and removed and bolted back so it would be adjustable.

Just a few inches of weld bead around 1/4 inch steel is really a bear. Being careful I had removed it so it was like it was never been messed with, only the circular scratches showing.

HaHa!

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 10-20-2016 at 01:38 AM.