Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Cold start in winter 2-stroke

How is it to cold start those 66cc 2 stroke engines in between -0 and -20 celsius (35F to -4F)?
Do i need to have the bicycle inside at winter? Do cold start harm the piston and cylinder badly? Do the piston easily freeze and stuck? Is it hard to coldstart?
Old 10-15-2016, 05:15 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Cold start in winter 2-stroke

If the carb is properly tuned, you will have no issues at all.
You may/may not even need to choke it.
I think its beneficial to let it idle for 30 seconds or so to warm up, but on my daily driver, I just start up and go!
Old 10-15-2016, 11:48 AM

At 4 below zero I hope to never find out.
BRRRRRRRRR!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 PM

engine should work OK with a bit of slow warm up - you probably won't enjoy the ride tho

in the early 60s I sometimes had to ride a motorcycle to work on 0F to 20F days - hurts a lot and with snow on ground one falls down a lot - cover your ears well, as that's where I took some frostbite
Old 10-15-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSmoker View Post
How is it to cold start those 66cc 2 stroke engines in between -0 and -20 celsius (35F to -4F)?
Do i need to have the bicycle inside at winter? Do cold start harm the piston and cylinder badly? Do the piston easily freeze and stuck? Is it hard to coldstart?
I have 40 years of snowmobile experience mainly with piston port type 2 strokes. Always kept the sleds outdoors. They will start and run even at -30, but of course, will start better if kept indoors. The oil tends to thicken up on the cylinder walls making initial start hard unless you are using a snowmobile type synthetic injector oil, which is formulated against this. Sled oils are your best choice for near freezing temps.

Forged piston (we have cast) are at large risk in cold temps. Cast not so much but always allow a warm up in any temp. Idling, especially with choke on, tends to foul the plug, so start up and start away on light load, taking choke off when you can.

Yup, coldstarting can be hard. Strong spark, good compression and right gas mix is essential.

Jetting NEEDS to be adjusted for temperature. Jetting that is spot on at 20c will destroy pistons at 0c. Need to richen up considerable for cold temps. Hard to believe that -20c will burn up pistons but it will. Every 10c requires a different jet setting.

This is from last winter:

I run sheet metal screws in the knobs of my MX tires on my KTM in the winter for traction on ice.

Hand guards, "lobster" gloves and full face visored helmet help. As do knee and elbow pads for the inevitable falls on ice. Hips take a beating too.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM

What SprinfieldScooter sez: make sure your carb's tuned and you won't have problems, I find that the choke can come in handy on particulary cold days too. The coldest I've run on regular cruisings is 15-degree F. Let the engine warm up for about 30-secs before loading it up.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Been there, done that. As they said, tune it and it'll do fine. Last winter I think mine took maybe 10 or 20 seconds longer to get nice and warmed up. After that, she ran like always.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Tags
cold, start, winter