Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > 4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits

4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits 4 stroke engine kits are great if you want reliability or do not want to mix your oil and gas. Learn from each other how to get the most out of your 4 stroke bicycle engine

Old 10-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Bought a 4 stroke kit from BikeBerry

and their delivery was quite fast. Received it in 4 days. I haven't had a large block of time to actually sit down and put everything together yet...but today was supposed to be the 'engine mounting plate' install. Boy oh boy...here's the pics...

See the gap between the stay/tubing and the mounting plate in the first two photos. The third one is just of the mounting plate sitting where it was going to be mounted.

So what do I do about that gap? The bike is a Huffy Cranbrook. Don't think I can eat away enough metal from the mount so the ends sit flush against the stay/tube as the metal ain't thick enough for that kinda fix. I've read about folks using soda cans as shims, but unless someone wants to tell me how to progressively make them smaller so they fit properly.....Any other suggestions?

I wanted to build my first bike from a kit, and not have to go out of those boundaries if I could help it. Unless I can come up with a different way, the only other real idea I have is to weld a piece of angle iron on each side of the stay/tubing and use that as the building block for the engine to mount to.

Looking for other alternatives.

Thanks folks
Old 10-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Bought a 4 stroke kit from BikeBerry

No 4 stroke guy am I, but I read somewhere of a fellow putting some sort of liquid plastic goop that hardens up in his mount gaps.
Electrical potting compound might work.
http://www.epoxies.com/_resources/co...e/20-3060R.pdf
You could use duct tape to make dams above and below and pour it in there.
Given time somebody will give you a better answer, I imagine.
Still, this goop might work for you.
Good luck!
Old 10-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

You might consider cutting some strips from an old inner tube. Maybe use contact glue to adhere rubber to motor mount, so it stays in place?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 PM

clean up those nasty welds with a file and use PVC in there (making a bit of groove in PVC will help it stay in place0
Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

@Slogger
At first all I could imagine was what would happen during vibration, then I read the pdf. Sounds like it could be an option, thank you.

@ragdolldude
Thought about it, but I have to fill that gap. Using inner tube...or any sheet rubber would be just as much fun as using coke cans. BTW, don't they say we should not use rubber between pieces as it promotes damage due to vibration? Thanks for the idea.

@crassius
PVC....I'm familiar with working PVC. Made bows, slingbows, bike racks, plant holders and a slew of other things. I think, that since I am familiar with PVC, I will attempt this way first. We are expecting our first storm to get here tomorrow late afternoon and go for 3-4 days. Means I can work in the garage without too much interruption.

Yeah, aren't those welds something else? lol.

Thanks folks for the input, I'll let ya know how it goes and see about posting a pic or two of the process so others might benefit.

Mac
Old 10-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Update: just checked email and Bikeberry support sez "Your safest bet would be to use rubber gaskets to fill that gap." Soooo, is it ok to use rubber?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 PM

for a 2-stroke it's a no-no - 4-strokes don't vibrate as much, so I'm not sure how well rubber will stand up (I suppose it depends a lot on what kind of rubber too)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Assuming that mount plate is steel, and that the welds look solid, I'd examine it very carefully to see if some kind of forming is possible. Like maybe bending the lower part of that grooved flange outward to better contact the seat post. You may need to heat it to keep it malleable while you work it. And I'd work it over a seat post clamped in a vice to maintain proper shape.
But if it doesn't look like the plate would hold up, I'd use some kind of filler. Epoxy resin could work. Shims may work. I've always been iffy about rubber, but this is a four stroke so who knows. I've heard it done where one guy wrapped a post and mounting bracket all around with aluminum tape, sealing from the bottom up and leaving the top open. Then he dumped melted lead in a gap he was trying to fill. It cooled and set just fine, but I never got to find out how it worked over the long haul. I imagine it was fine though.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 10-22-2016, 11:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Update: 10/22
Sorry for the delay, got a cold that's kicking my butt and haven't been able to do more than 5 minutes of work without sweating so much I can't even see, lol.

Well, after playing with numerous solutions, I have come to the conclusion that the provided mount ain't gonna cut it. So, this is gonna be my solution. Two pieces of angle, cut to the proper size, and come monday or tuesday, I'll weld them in place. I'll drill the mount holes directly into the angle.

Take a look and suggestions, and comments are always welcome.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Dude! You know, I think I like that better than the mount plate! Does it feel like it might be a lighter-weight solution too? Heck, if you round the corners a bit, and cut the front at an angle to match the flow of the downtube, that would look even better than the mounting plate I think.
If you were to ask me, I'd say take that idea and run with it.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"