Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Help

I'm buying a new magneto. Hopefully that's the solution. What could,it be,if not this?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTurtle View Post
What could,it be,if not this?
Wires improperly connected.

Don't just buy parts! You must know someone with a multimeter? Check the resistance of the magneto. Unplug the kill switch and check from black to blue. If you have a white wire, make sure it's not touching anything. Tape it off if you have to.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreen View Post
Wires improperly connected.

Don't just buy parts! You must know someone with a multimeter? Check the resistance of the magneto. Unplug the kill switch and check from black to blue. If you have a white wire, make sure it's not touching anything. Tape it off if you have to.
Sadly I don't. This one horse town I live in. I've done all this. I've checked for a spark with the kill switch in, I've checked with it out, I've switched between new and old spark plugs and new and old Cdi. Still no spark. The wire that's black looks thick at the joining point of the magneto, but the blue wire looks thin as if its been pulled. Where as the black wire looks to be about 7-8 strands of copper. The blue one looks to be about 3-4 strands of copper. But with no option of getting a solder, wire, tip, ect, I'm just...relying on a new Magneto. I prefer fixing the problem instead of prolonging it with tape and glue. If this does not work than I will figure it out. The last thing it can be without getting the spark is the magneto and it's wires.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 PM

in my experience, the smaller the town, the more likely that someone very close by fixes things and has tools
Old 10-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thank you for the assistance, and feedback. I will try and find someone with the tools as well just in case.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 PM

I twisted the wires together and wrapped them in electrical tape(duck automotive electric tape) and my bikes all started and ran great. One of them I didn't even have to pedal just give a little push with your feet and hit the clutch. just sayin
Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 PM

If you have a meter you might check the coil and see if you are getting anything out of it. Those coils can sometimes fail, they are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:37 AM

Just another thing to double check...Your wire in the spark plug cap may not be touching the spark plug tip. This is also a common issue with these kits, I've seen this twice where the cap guts are badly twisted and buried 1/8 " from the plug tip. Thus wreaking the spark. Take a flashlight and look inside the cap to be sure the wire ring inside is located properly
Where it snaps onto the plug top. Also some plug tops have an adapter for a bigger cap wire loop and some smaller wire loops need that plug top Adapter taken off. It's very inconsistent.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:03 AM

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying about improper connections. Sure, twisting and taping is not the way to go, but it'll work for at least a little while.

What I'm asking is how is it connected? Pictures of connection points with a brief description?