Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 09-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Necro's 4 speed 125cc Lifan Build Thread

So I decided to go ahead with the 125cc lifan build. Engine and a few other parts arrived today, holy crap the engine is massive! Micargi puma arrives tomorrow. Then I can start figuring out how to mount the engine. Going to gear it for a top speed of just over 60 mph at 9500 rpm in 4th gear, which means about 13:1. First gear will be about 35:1, that should be interesting (wheelie time lol). I am going to make it purple and either black or silver depending on parts availability. Also going to cut out a giant skull with horns and make it into a fairing, with the headlights through the eyes. I made some little prototype skulls today, thinking one of them will house the turn signals, again through the eyes. This is really going to be more of a small cc motorcycle, should be a fun build.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Necro's 4 speed 125cc Lifan Build Thread

I think you will enjoy the Micargi.
I own 2.
I put a 66cc engine in one, and its a blast!
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59263
My second Micargi is just screaming for one of these lifans!
Ill be watching this closely!

Last edited by Springfieldscooter; 09-15-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:28 PM

Got the frame this morning, upon opening the box it was apparent that the bike had been assembled by monkeys, so I took everything apart and redid it.

Test rode it up and down my street, the turn radius is going to take some getting used to... the whole thing just feels weird to a guy who's used to a mountain bike frame. I'm sure it will pass.

Now I'm going to take it to the bike shop and order some parts, then I'll repaint everything purple and silver and I can get down to building.

Also I made a post of this on the motorized bicycle subreddit, and everyone thinks I am going to kill myself lol. They are not quite as open minded about larger engines as we are...

Last edited by TheNecromancer13; 09-16-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:32 AM

Signing on for this one!

Monkeys? You're too generous, my eleven year nephew was near to swearing when he helped with my unboxing. He was confident he could have done far better. So am I. Check out Lynn's website ( custommotoredbikes.com ) she's got some handlebars I think will fit the look you're going for. Look made for a chopper build. I think you'll know em when you see em.

Any ideas on that back fender? I know Motakity and others have had issues with them breaking at the mounting tabs and other things. Personally I don't like the center brace at all, the way it comes, and have left my fenders off until I decide on (read: figure out) a solution. Bending and drilling 11/8 inch strap into new braces and tabs is the best I've come up with so far.

60 on a Micargi stretch? Sounds doable. My Mustang rides pretty good near 40, and as a bicycle, it rides smoother and more stable than any other bicycle I've ever ridden. Its part of why I built mine. Admittedly, turn radius and clearance issues take a little getting used to, but it's worth it. Just remember to keep the inside pedal high, no level with the ground nonsense, you keep the inside foot UP, or you will scrub that pedal, and it could hurt you bad buddy. I'm more worried about that than the motor size or speed.

Last edited by mogollonmonster; 09-17-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogollonmonster View Post
Signing on for this one!

Monkeys? You're too generous, my eleven year nephew was near to swearing when he helped with my unboxing. He was confident he could have done far better. So am I. Check out Lynn's website ( custommotoredbikes.com ) she's got some handlebars I think will fit the look you're going for. Look made for a chopper build. I think you'll know em when you see em.

Any ideas on that back fender? I know Motakity and others have had issues with them breaking at the mounting tabs and other things. Personally I don't like the center brace at all, the way it comes, and have left my fenders off until I decide on (read: figure out) a solution. Bending and drilling 11/8 inch strap into new braces and tabs is the best I've come up with so far.

60 on a Micargi stretch? Sounds doable. My Mustang rides pretty good near 40, and as a bicycle, it rides smoother and more stable than any other bicycle I've ever ridden. Its part of why I built mine. Admittedly, turn radius and clearance issues take a little getting used to, but it's worth it. Just remember to keep the inside pedal high, no level with the ground nonsense, you keep the inside foot UP, or you will scrub that pedal, and it could hurt you bad buddy. I'm more worried about that than the motor size or speed.
Custommotoredbikes is a great website, I get a lot of stuff there. My soultion for the fenders is to leave them off for now, especially considering that the front one doesn't even fit between the springer fork. About keeping the inside pedal high, I had plenty of practice with that after I built a bike a while ago that needed pieces of metal screwed onto the pedals to extend them so my feet could reach them around the engine, I crashed on the first test ride because the pedal hit the ground around a curve. Now raising the inside pedal is second nature.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 AM

Was talking to my neighbor this evening about my new project, I mentioned I needed to find an exhaust pipe, and he's like "I've got an exhaust pipe for you! In fact, I have two of them you can have!" So he disappears into his garage and comes out with a pair of stainless steel high performance motorcycle pipes and gives them to me for free, along with a book on the history of motorcycles. So yea, one of these is going to be my exhaust pipe:
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM

I've got the engine sort of mounted and a jackshaft constructed, now I've got to figure out how to fit an exhaust and reroute the chain that goes to the pedals. It looks like I will have to have several stages of chain in order for everything to line up. I might redo the mounting brackets if I can find someone who owns a pipe bender.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 AM

Why use a jackshaft? I know that output sprocket is sticking way out on the motor, but from memory the shaft was something like 17mm right? I say take that shaft out, and have a shop turn it down to 5/8" or so and mill a key way in so that you can do away with the jackshaft. Or if it is 16mm ya can turn on the engine and file it down the five thou to 5/8" and put a regular sprocket on there.. Maybe with some kind of weld on sprocket adapter and a 12t output sprocket.

This build is gonna be sick!
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
Why use a jackshaft? I know that output sprocket is sticking way out on the motor, but from memory the shaft was something like 17mm right? I say take that shaft out, and have a shop turn it down to 5/8" or so and mill a key way in so that you can do away with the jackshaft. Or if it is 16mm ya can turn on the engine and file it down the five thou to 5/8" and put a regular sprocket on there.. Maybe with some kind of weld on sprocket adapter and a 12t output sprocket.

This build is gonna be sick!
Mostly using a jackshaft so I can run the chain on the right side of the bike, I plan to use a freewheel to link the pedals with the motor so that they turn the same chain. Also cause if I did it with no jackshaft the chain would hit the frame.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 AM

Hey I rolled through your town on the Amtrak. Had half an hour to see downtown and that's it.. Quite the industrial city. Got some big hills there.

Tags
125cc, build, lifan