Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Echo, Stihl or SOLO chainsaw engines?

personally I would go old school, use one of the big chainsaw motors with some serious grunt lets see a Homelite super XL around 58cc

I know of a Pioneer 600 I could pick up for $25 that is complete with spark but not running that is 103cc there are plenty of old macks as well & lets not forget the sachs dalmers. the macks go up to 125cc & with racing gocart parts & stroker crank you can get aprox 150cc but you can find inexpensive 80cc saws cheaply

there are plenty of saws with some serious grunt in the 60cc to 80cc class & there are quite a few saws over 100cc

there are guys that race chainsaws & with right fuel turn 25,000 or so RPM but thats in more modern saws. but look at the old saws they turn 6,000 to 8,000 rpm but when you crank them they rumble with power.

by the way I have like 20 chainsaws & for big wood I always pick up one of my old saws. but for medium sized wood or just firewood I will pick a lightweight saw for what seems best for the occasion.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Thanks. I guess I will keep scouting them out. I am planning on friction but might expand my horizons once I figure out my mini milling machine and get some ideas together.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Good discussion.I'll play devils advocate, but I think the chain saw power head idea has merit.Bottom line is that we wont know till someone tries.A few thoughts.The heads were made to move a cutting attachment thru wood.At any given time the cutters were made to have the least amount of friction possible.Reduce friction and you reduce the need for torque.My oldest power head from 1952 weights 27 pounds and looks like a board tracker motor.My newest is 13 pounds and use'es the most friction free cutters of today.Another ration of trade offs.Cut wood or haul bodies,sometimes you do both!!