I greased my centrifugal clutch

GoldenMotor.com
My clutch was chattering so bad I was afraid it would damage the spokes where the 44 tooth sprocket was attached on my trike wheel. I disassembled the clutch and greased the pads and drum---real good with slick 50 teflon grease. Took the chatter right out and now it engages smoothly and locks up at some RPM. Don't know if this is a good idea or how long it will work before I need to grease it again. I put a 79cc engine on the trike because assbike sent me a clutch for a 79cc 5/8 bore instead of the 3/4" bore for the 212cc engine supplied with the trike kit. Couldn't get ahold of their customer service dept. to get it rectified. The 79cc engine is bogged down to about 2000-2500 rpm at 15 MPH wide open. Ordered a clutch for the 212cc engine and I will install it as soon as it arrives.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I'm assuming you have a max torque clutch. It's chattering because your gear ratio is too tall for the clutch setup. For a taller ratio you need to run a heavier spring such as a black one with mixed heavy and regular shoes, or just a black spring. You probably caused a lot of wear on it... Too much slip will cause it to overheat, and then you'll be fcked..

I rode it about a half mile and the clutch started smoking. I got back home and degreased the clutch assembly. I did re grease the clutch drum bushing. I was doing standing starts when it was chattering. If I pedal before gassing it it does ok. Where does one buy these springs and shoes? Thanks for the reply.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
affordablegokarts.com

The bushing must be oiled, not greased. After reassembly oil the bushing once in two hours. I do this after the ride, as the oil needs time to penetrate. A heavier spring will make it slip more. The engine will rev up to almost lockup rpm and the bike will start moving. When it locks up the engine will then continue to rev. You want it to be able to lockup, so keep the shoes and drum clean.