Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Analog Speedometer

Good luck with the eBay speedometer! I blew the guts out of mine, but I'm a maniac and sustained speeds over 40 for too long. Maybe the lower speed will help it last longer?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 PM

I've been sitting on one of these speedos for a couple of years but was afraid to install because of the plastic washer/housing at the axle. I was about to ask how it was holding up in general. Now I know. I had thought to take it apart and lube it properly and then try it. My max speed would be 35 and mostly cruise at 30 mph.

Up here we have the metric system so it's ideal for me if it can stand the use.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreen View Post
Good luck with the eBay speedometer! I blew the guts out of mine, but I'm a maniac and sustained speeds over 40 for too long. Maybe the lower speed will help it last longer?
Agreen that's for sure a torture test for these cheap plastic speedos with a spinning cable. Did you keep it oiled upped often? Anyhow I'm glad I let you test out their durability for me. he-he-he. I have 3 bikes with these installed. I just added a digital style hard wired on one, so the verdicts out on what type lasts longer or I like better. I couldn't believe the magnet holder had to be altered a bunch to fit a wider 12 gauge spoke. Hope all is well.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 PM

Chaz , Just lube it up and give it heck. I had one that had a brass plate where it bolts up to the hub, others hard plastic, yep the plastic gave me pause too as if it failed the front wheel could become loose...? at least that's what my safety paranoia told me. I guess it cant disappear and nothing rubs on it.. or does it.....????
Old 08-23-2016, 02:19 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Bought one of these cheesy things on Ebay. The dial has two checker flags with the word Sports above the trip meter. The dial is graduated in MPH with a wheel RPM scale. The innards is full of plastic gears. Construction is poor at best. The one I received was defective. The trip meter works but the speedometer pointer never moves. The rotating magnetic coupling jumps up and down when the spindle turned. But hey,WTH. You can't expect perfection for 16 dollars and free shipping, can you. I don't recommend this particular one. Don't know about others.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM

Oil it?!! I didn't even get the chance to ride with it twice! I made it a gear grenade after the first use.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Custom MB Buiilder

I compared the analog on my trike with the phone. I got a difference of under 2mph. 26" wheels. Not bad for 35.00.