Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: plug wire

Who are you calling an "old timer" ? Isn't that 'Age Discrimination' ?

Tom
Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Ha... by "old timers," I meant you guys who've been building these stupid bikes for many years now, and not the new guys who are just discovering the basic faults in them.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I have a PK 80 from Ozark Cruisers. The wire to the CDI seems to be formed into it as it was built, or at least glued in. Regardless, I am not looking to take it apart if I don't have to. But the boot has nothing more than a spring stuck up in it that is then attached to the wire. It certainly looks like a sorry way to do it to me.

Can I buy just another boot from auto zone and attach it in some way?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Also, I am trying to get this bike tuned up. Straight out of the box it runs, but it is not top notch. Up until yesterday it would sputter a good bit as I accelerated, then it would never get to really humming. It seemed to work best when I went to full throttle and then backed off just a hair. At that setting the motor sounded great and really hummed. But when I gave it full throttle it would sound like it sort of bogged down just a hair.

I threw away the chinese plug today and put in a NGK B6hs. I also changed the needle setting. It came stock with the clip on the third rung down. I moved it up to the second rung down from the top. Today it seems to sputter a lot less, but it does not seem to go as fast as it did yesterday.

Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 PM

To answer your first question, yes, you can buy a boot and the crimp from most auto parts stores. If you never made your own plug wire end, google it. There's a youtube video for it.

Second problem may be mixture (too rich, it sounds like.) Changing the needle setting, jet, or fuel to oil ratio might work.

Could be oil clogged pipe, oil soaked filter element, or..?

Or it just might be the break in blues and it'll go away on it's own.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I bought a NGK high performance plug wire hang plug cap. I installed it on the bike. I haven't started it yet. I bought some 40:1 True Fuel to start out with. My back is bothering me so I am not going to start it yet. The back should clear by tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thanks for the help!

I installed a new boot on my new NGK plug today. But still not getting 100%. But I also managed to mix too much oil so I don't know if that is holding me back.

Meanwhile, while riding today my leg got wet so I looked down. The tube that is attached to the gas supply line had fallen completely out of the side of the Carb. I stuck it back in and got home. Upon inspection there seems to be nothing whatsoever that is to hold it in place. Is this right???

I don't mind continuing to work at it, but maybe I should just buy a nice carb and forget it?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:45 PM

The inlet is press fit in most carbs. Unless it's really loose, a light tap with a hammer should keep it in place. If not, a tiny bit of silicon should be a temp fix, or just get a new carb.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

JB weld my friend, its chemical resistant and will be a perm fix. Only use a little so you dont clog it.