Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: anyone else seeing a severe slow down in 2-stroke sales and service

Do you run a bike shop that also caters to motor driving bicycles or primarily focus on motor driving bikes?

Sorry it's not going well. Is there opportunity to diversify, possibly work on all small engines not just bikes?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
well, I've finally gotten some work this week - 3 diff customers bought dead coaster brake bikes that had all hit something hard and bent/broken stuff

maybe it will turn around a bit now
Hope it wasn't the single coaster brakes fault that was the root of the impact damage, hmm. you will have to get the back stories and post them.
Anyhow crassius it was good to get an update.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:44 PM

I'm almost exclusively 2-stroke repairs on a build bench behind my house - too old to work on motors I can't hold in one hand.

These bikes were all crashed by their owners due to lack of stopping power - we have a builder in next town that specializes in $88 cruisers with cheap kits and no other brakes - these dead bikes were bought from those owners and are now being patched back together a bit for folks too poor to buy something good or even to pay to get all the bends out of handle bars & frame.

I get them close enough to be ridable with care, and tell them they really need to add a real brake or two, but they'll probably be back with more crash damage.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
well, I've finally gotten some work this week - 3 diff customers bought dead coaster brake bikes that had all hit something hard and bent/broken stuff

maybe it will turn around a bit now
Cool Caraaius, even a little work is better than none for most.
I am only taking in work Joe can do on his own since I found out about my cancer, I have lost my enthusiasm and having a hard time just doing the paperwork.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:30 AM

yeah, during that 10 weeks of radiation a few years ago, I did very little work - still do less than before, but hey, I'm older now too - last year was first in very long time that I didn't do my usual 2 to 4 months in asia during winter

had 2 dead motors last week - same customer - I carefully explained the run-in mixture and normal mixture and he wrote it down - when he got the new motor in at his house, he was in too much of a hurry to change out his fuel and ran it on the same bad mix he had in tank - seized the new one too - got it free for him and ran it in on bench for a while, seems OK this time, but last motor tore up both piston & barrel
Old 08-17-2016, 01:11 PM

Regarding the Topic Subject, '2-stroke sales' I posted earlier, soo many people are building **** and dumping it MB's have really gotten a bad name.

Quote:
yeah, during that 10 weeks of radiation a few years ago, I did very little work - still do less than before, but hey, I'm older now too...
I have a Joe to do the wrench turning, and my mind is as sharp as ever.
I can access a persons actual needs based on a bunch of factors from my Contact E-Form, it's the damn 'Paper Work' only that hurts...

Getting my hands dirty trying some new designs myself is hard to loose when I simply can't do it much anymore... But then again I have a Joe ;-}