Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Would anyone but me buy a smaller still China Girl?

What I envision is a smaller lighter and quieter China Girl motor, maybe 35 or 38cc with a slightly longer pipe to make it quieter still-

that I can clutch power on, on a traditional lightweight bike, or one of the newer 700C commuter/transportation cruiser.

something like this, or a vintage road frame:http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Mens-W...b_title_sports

I want a lighter kit- they've pretty much ENDED the 415 Industrial/trike chain with the shorter profile that's half the kit weight- I suppose a 410 might be more viable but I like chain play to keep it on the sprockets-

I want a smaller plastic tank with neither the nipple or the fill hole mounted dead center, so as to be in the Plastic Corporate mold way, for pedaling- or at least give us back the hanging tank for a diamond frame, we've been able to see but not purchase for years now. And I think it's fair to say, after doing my first build in 2009- that any progression in our activities is always TOWARD motorcycles- speed and power- and AWAY from the bicycle aspect.
I want a china girl that more bridges a gap between its' current state, and the rising world of electric bike motors- where batteries are still sky high and not all that long of life.

I see a top speed in the low 20's, but more of a pedal start up to normal speed- then pop on the afterburners- I ride pretty much that way now, and kill the motor approaching any stops- and COAST up to it- a bike and motor with a total combined weight of about 35 or 38 pounds- hey- the same as the cubic inches.

I ride my bike in urban and suburban streets - mostly smooth and flat and I generally make the same 6 mile round trip, although sometimes to other stores and locales. Would anyone else buy a kit like that? Or do I stand alone as an ancient road racer?

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 04-21-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Would anyone but me buy a smaaler still China Girl?

Yes, I like the idea.

I wonder, though, if it could be done so that there is enough weight saved to make a true difference in pedaling.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Would anyone but me buy a smaller still China Girl?

I run cruiser frames now with 700c wheels- the real pedaling difference comes with the lightweight and narrow wheels. My 50cc build on a modern light Huffy cruiser frame comes in at about 40 pounds and handles much like a road bike. With sound dampeners- the 50's are quieter and vibrate less, but with stock Speed carb, not as powerful as a 66.
Most MB's have their seats too low for good pedaling, and if their approach is for a lot of speed I can respect that- but I got used to a good pack speed with my legs almost extended fully on a road bike. The 415 Industrial Trike chains peddle much easier too,-MUCH less rolling resistance- and so you KNOW they're helping the motor out too. I bought my last one a year or so ago- and it was a hard search then- the cost had gone up to over $20. I was getting them delivered for $12 a few years ago and still have them on both my builds.

below 50cc huffy with 700C wheels

and aborted Schwinn Traveller project 2010
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50cc 700C Huffy.jpg (394.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Schwinn Traveller project fail 2010.jpg (363.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 04-21-2016 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:49 PM

Ahh.....the Schwinn Traveller. A fine bike. Too bad that build didn't work out for you.

I've had a few Travellers over the years. A bit more than thirty years ago, when I first saw mountain bikes, I got rid of the drop handlebars on mine and put near-straight bars on my Traveller. It was a fantastic bike setup like that.

A year or so later I spent a pretty good wad of cash on a Miyata Ridge Runner mountain bike. And it was a fine bike, I won't deny.

But from day one until now I'm not sure it was superior to the Traveller.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Would anyone but me buy a smaller still China Girl?

The Traveller ran into a host of problems putting it together- the clearances were tight but it looked as if I could get the chain to clear the stays- I'd opted to try for a 1/8" 410 chain and a narrow front motor sprocket- it looked aligned but still threw the 410 off the first few meters. I went to switch back to 415 kit chain and lost the woodruff key. Buy the time I got another, I'd found the orange huffy frame. The other big factor was that the teardrop tank was totally in the way of my knees pedaling- they didn't have the small one liter plastic tanks then which would be my choice mounted on an alloy rear rack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Gas-Fue...JSFN9U&vxp=mtr
The poo poo pipe wouldn't have had good clearance either and I used it on my 66 build for awhile- quiet.
So anyway, I sold the Traveler without a motor and regretted it later- I'd gotten it incredibly cheap 10 or 20 dollars from a junk guy- and it renovated nicely, but I had to leave the flood property with the FEMA buyout and had little room- had to sell the 88 Festiva too- Ouch- but got another 91 later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg traveller BEFORE.jpg (289.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg voyager painted.jpg (242.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg traveller after.jpg (337.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 91 festiva.jpg (417.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 04-21-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:31 PM

Not unless I needed a gas powered boot scrubber during mud season!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM

The Japanese Fuki FK310 uses a 30cc engine and does about 20.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fu...w=1366&bih=643
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 PM

Thank you for sharing that- I'd never heard of that bike. Yet what I want would be much lighter and not carry so much gasoline.

There are 38cc 4 strokers out there- the friction drive that Bike Berry sells for instance- and while I'd prefer a 4 stroke for dependability, and for being quiet, they still generally DON'T fit between unaltered pedals on most bikes.

A 35cc China Girl would still just kick-on with the clutch and I've grown fond of that. A smaller motor could be replaced even easier too, and not as likely to damage a frame.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 AM

Cannonball2 has used V belts to turn drive from a lengthways Maytag crankshaft through 90 degrees. Could a small engine be done the same way? They are sometimes thinner that way round.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:10 AM

https://www.bikeengines.com/shop/ There is also staton-inc..........Curt