Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Frames

Looking for either bikes like the Cranny's or just a frame. Where are some good places to scan. Steel of course and sort of like the stretch lower frames. Want to really build this thing from the ground up with all good parts. I'll be watching and thanks guys. . Gary aka ghil
Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Default Re: Frames

Old school Schwinn frames are some of the strongest (& best priced) frames you'll ever find.

Craigslist & ebay are great places to look.
For motorized bicycle sales, service & engine kits in Los Angeles, please visit us at-

Follow VMB on facebook>>>

Follow VMB on Instagram>>>
Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 AM

Many of the old Sears and Western Flyers from the 70s were made by Murray. Not as good as the Schwinns, but easier to find and plenty sturdy.
“You're only young once, but you can be immature as long as you like" -Unknown
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Like they said: old-school steel Schwinn frames rank pretty high. Mine was an old welded-steel 1948 JC Higgins cruiser. Older, heavier, welded steel frames tend to work pretty well for what we do. Watch for cracks on any frame you choose.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 04-02-2016, 04:14 PM

Welcome Back to the forum GPhil, Again, you cant go wrong with an old school Schwinn, or any other American made vintage frame. Try Ebay, you could also join this forum they have a for sale section that always has bare frames for sale....Good luck
__________________ - The Ultimate Users Guide

Last edited by chainmaker; 04-03-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Appreciate all the input from you guys....Seems like there is so much to choose from these days. Everybody says theirs is the best so guys like me have to rely on the experts on this forum so once more thanks. . . Gary
Old 04-03-2016, 05:56 PM

I've used more modern standard cruiser frames with no trouble- By themselves they weigh only a pound or two more than a vintage road frame- but the enlarged down tube is a hassle. I set them up with shock forks- harder to find thread now, but out there- and 700 c wheels with big gears- 36 or smaller on the back which reduces vibration at cruisoing speeds-

also recently got a "supermount" with large studs and thick rubber inserts for the 66 build, because I now notice the vibration more than I used to, when I almost always ride a 50cc. Havem't got it on yet though- probably have to split the chain and use another- and that's always the stickler of the build as far as I'm concerned.

So still on the Marcargi Panther frame from 2009- and the 66 with 34 sprock
and then the Huffy frame - not terribly recent but dependable with the 50 cc and 39t

and I built and sold a 66 huffy matching frame with another alloy 34t last summer.

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 04-03-2016 at 05:59 PM.