Tires

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I was watching trials riders on unicycles tonight and they use a 20 X 2-1/2" tire that might make cutesy wheels for a motorbike. Just a thought..rd.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Re: Fat tires

Rebuild the rear end or at least spread the original stays. There are extra fat tires I have seen with extra fat rims that would take a custom rear end. The primo set up I think. Surley is offering a fat rim called Large Marge for the Pugsley frame and fork.
The Endomorph tire is 94mm wide (3.7") x 740mm tall (29") on our rims. It’s the highest-volume production bicycle tire on the market at this point. And, at 1260 grams, our 60 tpi tire weighs 300–400 grams less than lower-volume 3"-wide DH tires. Most 3" DH tires hover around 1600 grams.

Last edited:

flatblackkustoms

Jul 14, 2008
MEDFORD, OREGON !!!

Rebuild the rear end or at least spread the original stays. There are extra fat tires I have seen with extra fat rims that would take a custom rear end. The primo set up I think. Surley is offering a fat rim called Large Marge for the Pugsley frame and fork.
The Endomorph tire is 94mm wide (3.7") x 740mm tall (29") on our rims. It’s the highest-volume production bicycle tire on the market at this point. And, at 1260 grams, our 60 tpi tire weighs 300–400 grams less than lower-volume 3"-wide DH tires. Most 3" DH tires hover around 1600 grams.
Pre-war fat tire bikes are the best for this, the 24x3 tire isn't as tall as a 26" tire/wheel combo...just a little smaller, it still gives the appearance of a 26" wheel!

jeff walter

Mar 2, 2009
portland OR

Another option is to build your motormounts offset. I built mine 1 cm off to fit hookworms. I also had to dish the rear wheel , and spread the reart chainstays, and use a long rear axle. Might need wider crank arms or an adapter. But it is doable.

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

Those Surly wheels and tires would be flipping sweet on a MB. They're pretty expensive though, plus the cost of a frame to clear them.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I need to replace a 26" x 1 3/8" tire and was wondering if I could put a bigger tire on the rim.

I always see tubes coming in sizes that will fit a number of different tires and would like to know if it's the same with tires. The rim is a narrow one for road bikes, but will, say, a mtb tire work on it?

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
is anyone running with tires wider than 1.75? the reason I am asking is last year I started with 1.90s
and my drive chain would eventualy tear out the sidewall.
has anyone got any feedback on this? I really want to run the fattest tires I can and its time to replace them
is there any harm in possibly moving the big sprocket out a bit or will that be too misaligned? has anyone experimented with this?
.....Rob in Wallyworld

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Re: Fat tires?

I am running 2.125's and I have managed to get the chain to clear the tire. Just try tweaking the engine position and chain tensioner.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

A little lateral misalignment will not hurt. I wouldn't go much more than 3/8". Check your sprocket too. Most of them have a 'dished' design whereby the teeth are further to one side than the other. If the teeth on the sprocket are toward the wheel you can reinstall the sprocket with them on the outboard side instead. This won't give you much, maybe 1/4" but that might be enough to give you the tire clearance you need. Make sure your wheel is centered in the frame also and not cocked to the left. You didn't say where the chain is hitting the tire but if it is the lower side, the one with the tensioner, you can get some clearance by moving the tensioner wheel out a bit. Make sure it is running true and you don't have excess chain slack. You want 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain measured at the center of the chain span. Hope these suggestions help you out. Good luck.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY

i wouldnt let my chain rub my tire if it was wide.
you can use spacers for the sprocket or flip it over.
and you can offset the engine my moving it over a little or
plus adjusting the chain tensioner but remember its not a derailer.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.

I am a little scared of the drive chain "jumping track"but what I really dont want is that little tiny wear in the sidewall where a bubble begins to form and out of the blue....BOOM![/B
and your miles from home and its pouring rain.....yeah,I did that,LOL.
Really,If your running them I should be able to also,I have a 1.90 in the shed,Ill tweak it,make sure everything is tight and just get over it! I want those big white baloons like "houghmade" has....I really love that guys bike,Im gonna try his tank idea on my present ride,if it works good I have a frame sitting in my shed calling me to build on it.
Thanx for getting back to me.
Rob in CTdance1

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.

A little lateral misalignment will not hurt. I wouldn't go much more than 3/8". Check your sprocket too. Most of them have a 'dished' design whereby the teeth are further to one side than the other. If the teeth on the sprocket are toward the wheel you can reinstall the sprocket with them on the outboard side instead. This won't give you much, maybe 1/4" but that might be enough to give you the tire clearance you need. Make sure your wheel is centered in the frame also and not cocked to the left. You didn't say where the chain is hitting the tire but if it is the lower side, the one with the tensioner, you can get some clearance by moving the tensioner wheel out a bit. Make sure it is running true and you don't have excess chain slack. You want 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain measured at the center of the chain span. Hope these suggestions help you out. Good luck.
Tom
Thankyou Tom,
yes my sprocket is dished ,I considered flipping it,I think installing the rear sprocket was the biggest
P.I.T.A. of my entire build so I wasnt thrilled with the Idea of taking it off,I have an extra sprocket and Rim so Ill just try building a wheel that way and see how it goes,I was afraid of misallignment.
This still may not leave me enough room but I gotta try.

What is this I hear some of the guys are using skate wheels for tensioners? any feedback in that?
im not having a problem but anything inexpensive that makes it just a little better is great with me and it sounds like that would be quieter than that nylon thing we get with the kits.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.

Works great!!,I had an occasion to rebuild a rim (too tight pedal chain) use a tensioner!!!
anyway im running 195 now with plenty more room