Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: More power!

I think the real sprocket test is "will it go up ALL the hills?"
If it won't go up the hills and start away without a lot of pedaling, the smaller sprocket ain't gonna be fun.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
Before you start making the bike faster, make it safer. Too many new builders spend time and money trying to get more speed and power when they should be looking at their brakes, bearings and frame integrity. Make sure you can stop the bike before making it faster. Assure the bearings, rims, spokes, tires and especially the brakes are up to the task of more speed.

Remember. It's a bicycle, not a motorcycle.

That's right.. don't take this info lightly.. once you start breaking 30mph on a regular basis you should upgrade the hubs to sealed bearing, tires to higher pressures. at least 40psi, have a good quality front brake like a disc or drum, and at least some kind of rear brake. Nothin' like the ol' cager not seeing you and pulling out in front of you while you're doing 45mph on the expressway.
I don't always listen to Alice in Chains..... but when I do, SO DO THE NEIGHBORS
212cc 2-speed
Old 02-18-2016, 06:14 PM

45 on the expressway!??!

Allow me to edit the info about the 19mm carb. It seems like it's good for low end torque, but it's probably not the best for speed. I'm working the kinks out and I'll post results on the proper carburetor selection.
Never stop wrenching