Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Can you skim my plan for restoration?

Overall the plug doesn't look bad. The oily residue appears, at least to me, to have come from a plug that wasn't tight in the head. The porcelain looks okay. Not too dark and not too light. Color can be decieving depending on what oil and fuel you're using. We often say to look for a chocolate brown color but all of my plugs run a shade of grey because of the oil I use.

We wish you luck and please keep us posted on your progress. We've all seen the 'before' pictures now you can show us where it will end. I think you're making a good decision.

Have fun.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"
Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Definitely sounds like you know what you're doing already so I say go for it and keep us posted... sometimes just giving it a good cleanup will drastically improve how the bike looks when taking pics of it...
I would definitely fix that seat tho if you plan on keeping the nanner seat... that bike can be made into something really cool pretty easily with a little paint, cleanup, and replacing the broken parts etc... it should go pretty smooth actually if everything is in decent condition..
Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Spark plug looks OK, but I have a vendetta against multiple tip plugs. Get an NGK b6hs or b5hs. Most auto parts stores sell them. The next step is disassembling the carburetor and give it a good cleaning. Get some carb cleaner and make sure you spray through the main jet. When you pull the bowl off, the brass tube that you see is where the main jet is. It's usually a flat head or a small hex that unscrews. Clean the needle carefully too.

Once the carb is clean and reassembled properly, see if it has spark. The wire needs to be changed, obviously. has a good replacement plug wire and boot. The wire literally screws in to the CDI. The CDI has a small screw post on it designed to tap in to the wire. Once replaced, place the plug in the wire (keep the plug out of the head) and lay the spark plug against the head. Spin the engine quickly and look for the plug making spark. Without the plug in the head, the engine will spin faster.

If you have spark and a good carb, the only thing left is compression. When you take the head off, you should be able to see the condition of the cylinder before getting too far.

So there you go. All that stuff should give you a good running engine. Then you can worry about whether the clutch works properly and tuning the carb.