Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default My back wheel won't spin

I just finished installing my first kit but when I went to turn the wheels to pedal my bike outside I noticed the back wheel was stiff and was really hard to pedal. It was pedaling freely before I put the motor chain on the bike. I opened up the compartment on the motor to see if the chain was stuck or pressing against something but wasn't. I adjusted the chain tensioner to see if it was too tight but the wheel was still stiff. I did notice one thing though. When I first threaded the chain through the motor I noticed that the chain drive in the motor was hard to turn with the chain tool that came with the kit. I considered spraying it with wd40 to get it to spin smoother and easier but I didn't because I really don't know much about these kits or motors and I didn't want to ruin it. The link will bring you to my bike I'm working on and what it's doing.

*The kit I'm using is a 60cc Aosom kit where the motor is installed in the V part of the bike(between the two wheels)*

Last edited by alisonsup; 09-06-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: My back wheel won't spin

The video is too dark to see how the clutch cable is installed but my guess is the cable needs to be tightened, adjusted. Here is a good tutorial on how to do that correctly.

I did notice that your chain is much too loose. You only want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes
Default Re: My back wheel won't spin

Uh, I think the obvious problem is you're not pulling in the clutch.

In the video, with the cover off, the clutch isn't hooked up. You're fighting the engine's compression.

back tire won't turn